MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Seeking Information on a WWII Japanese Rifle

Article about: Thank you. The symbols indicate it is a series 1. Any idea of it's value. The wood is fair and the metal is very good. It has the dust shield and barrel end cover. No bayonet. I very much ap

?

Default Re: Seeking Information on a WWII Japanese Rifle

Hi Steven,if you post this on the Gunboards Forum in the Japanese section there are a lot of experts there to help you.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Hi Steven,if you post this on the Gunboards Forum in the Japanese section there are a lot of experts there to help you.
    Thanks again.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi all,

First, thanks again to the zwerge for the information offered thus far. Any other comments or insurance valuation from anyone before I post on Gunboards?
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

slug36
    ?

go check out surplusrifleforum.com
    they have charts on the markings and there seem to be alot of guys that know alot about these rifles.

Quote by slug36 View Post
    go check out surplusrifleforum.com
    they have charts on the markings and there seem to be alot of guys that know alot about these rifles.
    Thanks fellow Texan.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

drm2m
    ?

Steven,

You might want to send these photos to
    Teri Jane Bryant .

Nambu World: TeriĀfs Japanese Handgun Website

Better known as the "Nambu Lady".

She is hugely plugged into the Japanese collecting field.

Mostly handguns..but I suspect she can point you in the right dirction with this rifle.

Good luck....she is very knowledgeable.

David

partisan42
    ?

Hi Steve,

With the intact mum, monopod and early aircraft wing sight and given the condition (assuming the bore is also in about excellent condition) this Type 99 could be expected to fetch $400-$600 at auction. For insurance purposes you always want to value on the high end, so I would put it at $600 or maybe even $800. If the GI that brought it home is still around, a notarized letter of provenance could bring the value up. This is especially true if he can remember where it was captured and if this was a famous battle/campaign.

613chad10
    ?

300$ to 500$

drcrw
    ?

I have a rifle nearly identical to yours. Mine has a brass cap on the end of the barrel. All I can find out is it may be an Arisaka type 38 cavalry carbine series 1 serial number 21934 (mine) But the mono-pod and sight seem to be out of place for that model. I am looking for the same information you are. Does anyone know what these guns are?
    Good luck
    drcrw

Hello-the rifle is definitely an Arisaka Type 99 short rifle of early production as indicated by the elaborate AA type sights and monopod support-both deleted from later wartime production as an economy measure. As previous members have said any provenance and additional material connected to it will increase the overall value of the rifle... I would tend to insure it at the high end of any estimates given the info you have stated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast