Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Small Arms of the Great War

Article about: I have added to the collection since my last post, I have picked up this Gewehr 98, it is a 1918 dated one and I believe it to be a Turkish contract rifle (correct me if i'm wrong). it is a

Default Small Arms of the Great War

Hi All

With the up and coming centenary of the Great War, I have decided to begin collecting the major small arms of the conflict. I have begun with the major British weapons of the conflict, being the Webley MK4 .455 revolver and the SMLE rifle, as the British side of the war is where my main interest lies and due to the fact that its a period that I personally re-enact in the UK. Over the coming years I plan to continue collecting eventually getting a Gew 98, c96 Mauser, the Later MK6 Webley and what ever else I can lay my hands on .

Here is my webley MK 4 .455. it's a fine example which hasn't been messed with and retains the full serial number on the cylinders, which shows it hasn't been converted over to being able to fire .45 ammo. I'm still unsure as to what all of the markings mean and any advice on these would be great.
    Small Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great War

This is my SMLE, its 1907 dated and has many of the early feature such as volley and windage sights. These features are far from common as they were gotten rid of during the war to speed up the production of the rifles. The rifle isn't strictly the same variant as the one in production during the war as the rifle is a mk1 *** instead of the mk3/3* patterns that were in production but my main living history portrayal is of a soldier in the BEF during 1914 so the rifle is quite fitting.
    Small Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great War

If anyone else is doing the same thing or just has other firearms from the period it would be great to see some photos and to get some advice on what to look out for when buying guns from the period.

All the Best

Liam

?

Very Nice start and a great idea.
    I will have to get some pic's of these rifles, But I have a 1891 AMBERG Commission 88 and a 1918 ERFURT KAR98a. I do the Helmet, Rifle& Bayonet thing so I have the 1896 Baden Picklehaube and a M17 Stahlhelm and several bayonets to go with them .

Semper Fi
    Phil

would be great to see some pics of all the items especially the KAR98a as its one of the guns I would eventually like to get. I also try to pick up the accessories with the guns ie slings, holsters, bayonets etc. I would like to get an early Bayonet with the hooked quillon for the SMLE but their very expensive and hard to find in the right condition.

Hello-the markings on the Webley's back strap are unit/rack markings with one lot lined out when it was reallocated to another unit-this indicates it was govt property not a private purchase by an officer so it will also have govt proof and acceptance marks including the 'Broad Arrow'.

Your SMLE only shows one * on the action body markings not ***-the modifications to that model were for the pointy bullet Mk VII ammunition which would also have "HV" (high velocity) stamped on the right side of the butt stock wood.

Below are 2 of my WW1 pistols-1917 Webley Mk VI and 1915 Colt New Service .455 (one of a number of US made pistol types bought for emergency war use by Britain and Empire forces).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Arms of the Great War   Small Arms of the Great War  

Small Arms of the Great War   Small Arms of the Great War  

Very nice. the revolver has the broad arrow in a U for South African forces issue.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Unit marking 'Cape Constabulary (Pistol No.) 9 ?

Quote by lithgow View Post

Your SMLE only shows one * on the action body markings not ***-the modifications to that model were for the pointy bullet Mk VII ammunition which would also have "HV" (high velocity) stamped on the right side of the butt stock wood.
    It looks like it was marked Mk1* and then the ** was marked later after conversion and are faint by comparison. It's defo has been converted to Mk1*** pattern though. It may of course have IP markings on the left side of the wrist.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    It looks like it was marked Mk1* and then the ** was marked later after conversion and are faint by comparison. It's defo has been converted to Mk1*** pattern though. It may of course have IP markings on the left side of the wrist.
    That's what has been done the picture quality isn't quite good enough to make out the additional **.

Default Mauser Gew98

Here you go, here's my addition to your thread. I picked up this Mauser Gew98 just the other day to add to my collection. Although it is a mismatch - as most seem to be, it is still a very interesting weapon. The actual barrel, receiver and trigger guard/ magazine housing are from a 1902 dated Danzig rifle. The range scale on this particular model starts at 200 meters, although this particular gun had the actual rear sight replaced in the 1903 modifications for the newer ammunition which gave a much flatter trajectory. The stock is from an early rifle which was issued to the 29th Infantry Regiment. This particular regiment was part of the 31st Brigade, the 4th Army which was commanded by Albrecht. The 4th German Army under the command of Albrecht engaged the French 4th Army commanded by Langle at the battle of the Marne on 26th August 1914. I have no idea how long the Prussian button has been on the butt stock. I have also included a picture of my other WW1 rifles.

Small Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great WarSmall Arms of the Great War

Here for your perusal is Webley .455 MK VI revolver serial number 160744 still in original .455 caliber accepted into service in 1915. Broad Arrow military property mark and inspection mark seen on rear of cylinder.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Arms of the Great War   Small Arms of the Great War  

Small Arms of the Great War  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast