Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Smith And Wesson Model 1917 US Army

Article about: by PMKS Is that a left-handed holster? Seems like it would be rare if original,which it looks like. Hello, Nice Rig Bill, I have one similar I will also show sometime when i get it out of th

Default Re: Smith And Wesson Model 1917 US Army

Quote by PMKS View Post
    Is that a left-handed holster? Seems like it would be rare if original,which it looks like.

Hello, Nice Rig Bill, I have one similar I will also show sometime when i get it out of the safe.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that the WWI 1917 holsters should be called "Left-hand" holsters.

Bill has already explained that the "left-hand" 1917-18 dated holsters were used in WWI, and the "right-hand" 1942 dated S&W1917 were holsters issued for use with the pistol in WW2.

If I am not mistaken the regulations of the time called for the pistol to worn on the "Right side" with the "Butt Forward" so theoretically they are all "Right hand" holsters, not intended to used cross-draw from left hip.
    I also think all the pre WWI Military revolver holsters are made "backwards" or "Left-handed" to have revolver the butt forward carry style. Of course if you were left handed, it was a plus to begin with.

Regards, Steve

?

Beautiful guns, gentlemen! My boss owns one and I got a chance to shoot it. Accurate and fits great in my hand!

We ran .45 ACP through it with the half-moon clips. Would love to run some .45 LC's through it, though!

I actually have a bet going with him that if he doesn't marry this chick, er lady, at our work within a year, the gun is mine....Seems odd, but that's how my boss works, and I'll know he'll pay up!

So far, it's been a month and he hasn't even gone on a date with her...11 months to go!

I never knew that WW1 right hand, left hand thing. Are we sure someone isn't toying with us. I know the 1911 was carried right handed as my father carried one.

Quote by wildman View Post
    I never knew that WW1 right hand, left hand thing. Are we sure someone isn't toying with us. I know the 1911 was carried right handed as my father carried one.
    No, nobody is toying with anybody. What I explained in my last post in this thread, I am pretty sure that is the way it was, and the reason. At the time, the Army Regulations called for revolvers to be carried on right hip, butt forward, which would mean it would seem like a "Left Hand " holster to most people now in more modern times.

I think the "Butt Forward" thing goes back to the days of the Cavalry. They did change them to a standard "right-handed" butt backwards standard type like we are familiar with today.

Here's a couple pics of my rig to also add to the thread.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Smith And Wesson Model 1917 US Army   Smith And Wesson Model 1917 US Army  

Smith And Wesson Model 1917 US Army   Smith And Wesson Model 1917 US Army  

Smith And Wesson Model 1917 US Army   Smith And Wesson Model 1917 US Army  

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Beautiful guns, gentlemen! My boss owns one and I got a chance to shoot it. Accurate and fits great in my hand!

We ran .45 ACP through it with the half-moon clips. Would love to run some .45 LC's through it, though!

I actually have a bet going with him that if he doesn't marry this chick, er lady, at our work within a year, the gun is mine....Seems odd, but that's how my boss works, and I'll know he'll pay up!

So far, it's been a month and he hasn't even gone on a date with her...11 months to go!
    They will not shoot .45 LC, only .45 Auto with half moon clips and .45 Auto Rim...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Kilroy, Wonderful WW1 display of weapons...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Good thing I didn't have any .45LC! I just assumed it was originally chambered fo that caliber. I'm sure I would have checked into that before trying though. Now I know, and knowing's half the battle...

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    Kilroy, Wonderful WW1 display of weapons...BILL
    Thanks Bill, threw them all together today for the pic. I'd like to do these type photo displays with all my weapons soon.

Have you also heard or read what I was saying about the holsters?

Regards, Steve

tom706
    ?

In this thread I saw a picture of a tanker holding a snake. I looked through my fathers album from his days with the 4th Armored divison and I saw the same picture.

I believe this fellow was from "H" company, 37th armored Regiment 4th armored div. My father, Samuel Savitsky, was company clerk for "I" company, 37th AR later Supply Sgt for "C" company 706th tank battalion. The picture was taken at the tank training facility, Camp IbiS, Ca. If you could identify this fellow for me for my records, I would be grateful.

Thank You,

Thomas

Nice looking revolver. I think my grandfather has one of these or an SAA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast