Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Smith and Wesson revolver?

Article about: I just got this revolver for free, found in the ground in eastern Europe. I will be refinishing this revolver and will keep it. Is this a smith and wesson and if so, what model\\type is it? D

Default Smith and Wesson revolver?

I just got this revolver for free, found in the ground in eastern Europe. I will be refinishing this revolver and will keep it. Is this a smith and wesson and if so, what model\type is it? Does anyone know?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Smith and Wesson revolver?   Smith and Wesson revolver?  

Smith and Wesson revolver?   Smith and Wesson revolver?  

It's got o look of a S&W about it but the hammer looks wrong as does the trigger guard, maybe one of the many copies produced in 19th century Russia!..

Its certainly not a Smith and Wesson, but does have S & W design influences, as well as others. It has a very crude trigger guard, I imagine this is a replacement?

My guess is its a Belgian made revolver c.1880. I will try to find some comparable Belgian examples.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Smith and Wesson revolver?   Smith and Wesson revolver?  

Smith and Wesson revolver?  

My guess is that the trigger guard is a much later addition.

?

Certainly a later trigger guard added to it.Have You measured caliber?

I agree with the rest of the guys.. Smith and Wesson model 3 influence with a funky trigger guard. Most likely russian copy.

Yeah looks like a rip off of a S&W break-top. Funky trigger guard I agree. No hot loads for this baby. LOL

Almost certainly a Euro produced attempted clone of an S&W....probably a 40+ caliber, from the looks of the cylinder...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Lightbulb

[QUOTE=douglas2496;1659164]

My guess is its a Belgian made revolver c.1880. QUOTE]

Mine too.....at one time, as well as the smaller calibre pinfire revolvers, Belgium had quite a 'cottage industry' producing hinged-frame revolvers. I thought it looked Russian ( slightly Moisin-Nagant ) but the general design and the trigger guard point to a Liege product.

Yes, the trigger guard was added on later. It is just a piece of bent metal.