Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smith & Wesson Victory Model for opinions

Article about: I picked up a nice condition S&W Victory model. The victory model was made during WWII from Early 1942 until 1945 starting from serial #V1 until VS811119. This one was made sometime afte

Default Smith & Wesson Victory Model for opinions

I picked up a nice condition S&W Victory model. The victory model was made during WWII from Early 1942 until 1945 starting from serial #V1 until VS811119. Please note the V is part of the serial number for transferring purposes. This one was made sometime after May of 1943 based on location of inspectors marking and proof mark. I would like to get a bit closer on dating if anyone has additional information. The serial number should appear on the butt, cylinder face, bottom of barrel, on the extractor and inside the right grip. These need to all match to be correct. There are two additional numbers on the crane and inside the recess. These need to match each other but are not related to the serial number of the gun. The grip on this one does not have a number so likely replaced at some point. The finish suffers from a bit of poor storage, likely left inside a holster. The finish during this period was a sandblast midnight black according to some sources. I call it a dark parkerized sandblast finish. Earlier guns have a more blue sandblast finish and later were just parkerized. This one was made for the Lend Lease program for the British Commonwealth countries as noted by the 5" barrel and 38 S&W chambering. The US guns were in the 4" and rare 2" and more rare 6" but chambered in the 38 Special. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
    John

Smith & Wesson Victory Model for opinionsSmith & Wesson Victory Model for opinionsSmith & Wesson Victory Model for opinionsSmith & Wesson Victory Model for opinionsSmith & Wesson Victory Model for opinionsSmith & Wesson Victory Model for opinionsSmith & Wesson Victory Model for opinions

MAP
    ?

Can't help you with your questions, but a nice looking example!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Can't help you with your questions, but a nice looking example!
    I agree with Michael, she a good looking piece. Sorry that I can’t help with answer but I will again live vicariously through you.LOL

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thumbs up

Many thanks for posting the pics - that's a nice example of the later Victory model. My one is an earlier, Government-purchase one with the blued finish, and it's interesting to see the later 'Parkerized' finish.

Very nice S&W Victory model. Maybe a letter to S&W could answer your questions. BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

A pristine example. Nice to see one in working condition!

These are quite popular on the UK deact market. I bought this one a couple of years ago. All matching, including the grips. There's some kind of postwar inventory marking on the grip strap. It's a stressful job, removing the grips to check the serial number. I was afraid of ruining the screws.

Smith & Wesson Victory Model for opinionsSmith & Wesson Victory Model for opinions

Regards, B.B.

Very nice gun BB. Thanks for sharing.
    John

Just a note on the longevity of the Victory Models, I was issued one in 1985 when assigned to the 101st ABN at Ft. Campbell and retained it until our unit was issued the M9 in 1988. Army aviation units had used a variety of 38 Special revolvers until that time. Our unit had a mixture of S&W, Ruger and Colt revolvers.

looks very similar to the S&W Model 10 I carried many years ago as a Police Officer in NYS

I'm on a new computer now, so all the links I had saved aren't accessible right now, but check out the smith & Wesson forum. They've been putting together a database of Victory models.

Victory data base - Page 27

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast