Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SMLE Mk1* rifle issued to Queensland Police

Article about: Hello everyone I recently got this SMLE Mk1* rifle issued to the Queensland Police and P1903 Bayonet which I have posted separately. The rifle is one of 300 issued to the Queensland Police,

?

Default SMLE Mk1* rifle issued to Queensland Police

Hello everyone

I recently got this SMLE Mk1* rifle issued to the Queensland Police and P1903 Bayonet which I have posted separately. The rifle is one of 300 issued to the Queensland Police, a 1906 Enfield with windage and volley sights, butt disc, round cocking piece and magazine cut off. Unfortunately the rifle is marked Q^P 164 and the bayonet Q^P 269. It also came with a leather sling marked ^ QG P 153 and a QP marked water bottle, but I'm not convinced that the water bottle is police issue. I took it to the range on the weekend and its the most accurate 303 I've ever fired.

Any comments welcome.

Alex
    SMLE Mk1* rifle issued to Queensland PoliceSMLE Mk1* rifle issued to Queensland PoliceSMLE Mk1* rifle issued to Queensland PoliceSMLE Mk1* rifle issued to Queensland PoliceSMLE Mk1* rifle issued to Queensland PoliceSMLE Mk1* rifle issued to Queensland Police

A very nice-looking rifle you have there! I have the Mk1* - later converted to Mk1***, and then converted to charger-loading at the Royal Naval Depot in Portsmouth for the British Army. Probably the finest bolt-action military rifle in the world!

An iconic rifle!.....

Very nice looking rifle.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Very good rifle there! One of my fellow collectors and member of WAAAS got one of the Qld rifles a couple of years ago-he bought it because it was a Mk I* and was surprised to be told of the police markings and their significance when he brought the rifle along to one of our meetings for the 'show and tell' segment.

?

Thanks for the comments guys. Being police issue most of these saw very little use and are in really good nick. My understanding is that they were all auctioned off in the mid 80's. I imagine most are in the hands of collectors now but I'm sure there's still a few people that have them without knowing their full background.