MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Springfield 03-A3 Help

Article about: I was considering purchasing this Springfield. It is a deactivated gun. Can anybody tell me anything about this gun? Here is the sellers description: "Very good example of this classic

Question Springfield 03-A3 Help

I was considering purchasing this Springfield. It is a deactivated gun. Can anybody tell me anything about this gun?

Here is the sellers description:
    "Very good example of this classic bolt action rifle that saw service throughout the war in both theaters. This example was manufactured by Smith-Corona and has a 1943 dated barrel. Nice stock, has at least two cartouches. This rifle has been demilled to BATF specs and cannot be made to fire. The reciever has been cut under the stock (where it cannot be seen) and marriage welded internally so that it cannot accept/ fire ammunition. Externally it looks and feels exactly like a live rifle. The bolt functions and you can dry fire it."

Does this mean it was an earlier manufacture reciever with a 1943 barrel put in (as a war time refurbishment)? Or was this whole gun made in 1943?

Do any of you know any reference websites for these springfields?

What do you think that weld is above the "on-off" switch on the left side of this rifle?

I appreciate the help many of you have given me in the last week,
    Many Thanks S. Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help 

Default Re: Springfield 03-A3 Help

I think the safety is welded so you cannot remove the bolt from the rifle. Looks terrible the way they did this. How much are they asking for this display rifle?

I see you live here in the US, and not one of these silly countries where you have to have your guns de-milled, Why don't you save a little more and get one that shoots? There are many 03 Smith Coronas around, and Remingtons.

Here is a good site to start with. Do a google and you find many, many sites with good info on the 03. There are also great books, Scott Duff, Bruce Canfield etc. Collecting and Shooting the U.S. Model 03A3 Rifle - HISTORY

Regards, Steve

All good advice Steve.

I think our forum friends age precludes him buying a live rifle at present.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    All good advice Steve.

I think our forum friends age precludes him buying a live rifle at present.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ah yes Ade, I did not think of this. I could not see how old our friend, Lt. Martin is. But while he saving a little more money, he will be getting older, so it might work out well. Not sure it has been a while since I had to deal with this, but I think you can own a rifle here at 16, but 18 to buy one.

These are great rifles. I've had many different ones, early, later, match etc.

Here is a pic of what I ended up with as a keeper.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Springfield 03-A3 Help   Springfield 03-A3 Help  

Who or what group of people would have used this late (1943 dated) springfield? I did some research and, it said that they ended production of these in 1943.

Did Marines still use these even past the point where they all could have the M-1? (not counting snipers)

Even though there is a "bad" weld over the "on-off" switch, is there anything wrong with the rifle?

The rifle is being sold at $490.... this seems a bit high...is it? This is one of my only options though as a am still young with parents who will not let me have a "real-rifle."

(it is also a supply and demand issue.... not many deactivated guns here in the US)

Quote by Lt. Martin View Post
    Who or what group of people would have used this late (1943 dated) springfield? I did some research and, it said that they ended production of these in 1943.

Did Marines still use these even past the point where they all could have the M-1? (not counting snipers)

Even though there is a "bad" weld over the "on-off" switch, is there anything wrong with the rifle?

Hi, just about all branches used this rifle all the way until the end of the war. Marines had a lot of them. They say the marines always got the older equipment, and rifles weapons etc. I am not to sure about that. The Marines seem to have done pretty good. The 1903 is still a good rifle today. 1903's production ended with the Remington rifles being the last. The rifle I show is one of the very last 499 million serial block of 1903A3's. (Even though it is an A4 sniper)

Regards, Steve

The rifle is being sold at $490.... this seems a bit high...is it? This is one of my only options though as a am still young with parents who will not let me have a "real-rifle."

(it is also a supply and demand issue.... not many deactivated guns here in the US)
    You are right, there are not many de activated guns anymore. $495 seems a little high for this rifle. You can get one that shoots for a little more.
    There is nothing I can see wrong with it for a wall hanger except the sloppy weld. You could take a dremel tool and small grinding stone and clean it up, and then put some cold bluing liquid on it.

I would try to get it cheaper, maybe $300-375?

Regards, Steve

What do the stock cartouches mean? Are there any on this example that are definable?

I am assuming that the 55 on the bottom of the stock is a rack number.

I was thinking....you should talk to your parents with the angle that if you get a "real" 03A3, and if you get a good one, the rifle WILL continue to increase in value, no doubt, no arguments. There is no argument for this, Military arms, especially good condition original examples are better than Gold, or stocks. Have them check this out. It is 100% true.

Regards, Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast