Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Springfield 03-A3 Help

Article about: I was considering purchasing this Springfield. It is a deactivated gun. Can anybody tell me anything about this gun? Here is the sellers description: "Very good example of this classic

Default Re: Springfield 03-A3 Help

Yes i know, I am still trying that argument with them. They are just worried about mis-firing and that I have a 9 year old brother. What I have tried to tell them is that if there is no ammo it cant be fired... plus I could always take the firing pin out.

Who would have used this late production 1943 dated Springfield? (other than snipers and army rangers)

I know that the M-1 was readily available.

Save your money and buy a correct rifle, and just have the firing pin taken out and give to your parents.., which is very simple to do.. You are throwing your money away purchasing a deact 03.. They were deacted in this way for military schools.. I started collecting at a very young age also....The person that go me started collecting told me... "Buy and keep the best, sell the rest"... Just talk to your parents and let them know your interest in Military History, and the weapons that made history... The price that they want for the 03 is way to high for a welded up rifle.... BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

I found another one on the website, here is the description:

"Museum grade demil – non firing. VG example manufactured at Springfield Arsenal in 1918. Has a 6/42 barrel, and a standard two groove stock with faint stock cartouche. Rifles in this SE# range went to the USMC. Although the M-1 Garand was to replace the ‘03 as our standard WWII Rifle this was the gun most of our troops started the war with – fighting on Wake Island, a “limited standard” firearm, serving in all theaters."

What does 6/42 barrel mean (somebody told me June 1942??), is that right?

I know that the original color of the metal parts were supposed to look "green", but does this finish on this rifle look "too green to you?"

So, the rifle was built in 1918 and it was rebarreled for continuing WWII use?

Many Thanks, S. Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help  Springfield 03-A3 Help 

Hi,
    the 6/42 is the date of the barrell June 1942, this would have been added probably when the rifle was rebuilt, as this rifle would have a black tinted Parkerising when new in1918 and is now a grey/green finish.Somewhere it will be letter stamped with the arsenal that rebuilt it, RIA would be Rock Island Arsenal or it could be SA which was Springfield Arsenal, but there were others.Looks afairly clean rifle to me from the pictures ,Pete.

R I A is for Rock Island Arsenal.
    The other marks are too dark for me to make them out, but the numbers are possibly for inventory purposes.

It is possible it is a re-worked rifle. I don't like this particular example, as the rear sight looks funny to me, but I could be reflecting on an earlier model.

The seller quoted a "nice stock" but I see many dents and patches on It.
    This rifle should sell for a lot less even as a de-milled piece IMO, and as advised, you should hold off until a better example comes your way.

Regards,

Steve.

As for the second one you found from the same seller, although an
    earlier example, it is NOT "museum grade" ! !

It's pretty beat up, almost as bad as the first.

Go to gun shows in your area to see some up close.
    There are much better ones out there !

Regards,

Steve.

On the second rifle, is the dark olive green color a little funny? I havent yet seen a springfield with that strong of a green color on the metal, is there something wrong or incorrect about that?

Quote by Lt. Martin View Post
    On the second rifle, is the dark olive green color a little funny? I havent yet seen a springfield with that strong of a green color on the metal, is there something wrong or incorrect about that?
    It could possibly be the lighting in the photos, but it could also just be
    smooth and worn parkerising, or both.

Do you think that this was a post-war rebuild? (I know this was a during war rebuild)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast