Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

ss stamped k98 rifle

Article about: Hi, the barrell has a different number on it also shouldn't a 1940 rifle have a cleaning rod and bayonet attachment? Mine hasn't. I know towards the end of the war they were made without the

Default Re: ss stamped k98 rifle

I have to agree with Jay about the captured guns, not all of them are mismatched and the examples that i have seen, had the numbers electropenciled on them.I have a p38 that came from Russia and its mint and all matching and a bargain price .It makes me wonder sometimes if an all matching immaculate gun ever saw any action,
    Pete

?

first one i saw with SS stamp, makes it easier to sell?

Found out loads of info, really grateful. Thanks phoenix that page really helps, the only thing on my gun that doesn't seem 2 match up is the barrel going by the numbers on that info. Thanks again everyone

?

Hi, been looking at getting that book. Just wondering if you can tell me any info on my well worn n bashed about 1937 s/42 k98 it's ser no.962 the waffen ampts on the barrel+receiver all seem to have 63on them some have62it's pretty badly pitted it's been thrashed so the bolts been changed but under the bolt handle has a 63waffen ampt stamp above the s/42. I can see the ser no. on the cocking piece is 5321 as on the bolt . I was told it was a possible russian capture? but there's no clear''X''stamp anywhere there's a poor possible K or x under the receiver. Is there another way to tell? The stock has no waffen ampts anywhere inside or out just no 962. And 16 on left side of stock but under the breach is where there is alot of weird stamps. I'll try post a few pics. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ss stamped k98 rifle   ss stamped k98 rifle  

ss stamped k98 rifle   ss stamped k98 rifle  

ss stamped k98 rifle  

JTompkins
    ?

Adding to this older thread. Trying to ID this particular model. Interesting as it has a double set trigger, german eagle stamp w/ a gothic "N" under the claws. I don't see any SS stamps or emblems aside from the pictures. It is definitely a Model 98 but missing several of the stamps I've found on other rifles. All the part numbers are matched.
    Attached Images Attached Images ss stamped k98 rifle 

?

Question

What you are showing is the nazi commercial proof.
    Without more photos it is impossible to tell what you have, but probably a wartime commercial 98 Mauser.

As for the early subjekts on the SS marked 98 stock - those stamps are PFake! That is the type marks found on the DSM 34 u. KKW 22 cal rifles, Never on a wartime K98k.
    Also the rifle shown is an RC mismatch, as are nearly (probably) all of the RCs. These rifles went thru rebuild and were stored for future use - as evidenced by the RCs found being used by the viet cong in sourth Vietnam. I have a couple of Viet Nam bring back K98ks that have the RC X on them. They are both total mismatches except the bbl/rec as is the case of just about All of the RCs.
    Sarge

JTompkins
    ?

I can provide more pics this weekend. It has been fairly hard to find info on the weapon but I've not found any yet from the production that had the double set trigger option. I am taking the rifle to a gunsmith to have inspected for safety; would love to shoot it w/ that hair trigger set but obviously don't want to risk any damage to the keepsake. Thanks for the reply and I'll post some more photo's later this weekend and see if anything else looks interesting.

May have been sporterized by a previous owner over the last 70 years or so.

Quote by Sarge View Post
    What you are showing is the nazi commercial proof.
    Without more photos it is impossible to tell what you have, but probably a wartime commercial 98 Mauser.

As for the early subjekts on the SS marked 98 stock - those stamps are PFake! That is the type marks found on the DSM 34 u. KKW 22 cal rifles, Never on a wartime K98k.
    Also the rifle shown is an RC mismatch, as are nearly (probably) all of the RCs. These rifles went thru rebuild and were stored for future use - as evidenced by the RCs found being used by the viet cong in sourth Vietnam. I have a couple of Viet Nam bring back K98ks that have the RC X on them. They are both total mismatches except the bbl/rec as is the case of just about All of the RCs.
    Sarge
    Yes, Sarge is correct -
    Russian capture rifles were stripped and refinished (metal parts dip blued/blacked, and wood refinished) and assembled by force match, with new numbers electrostenciled onto bolt.

Almost no chance of finding a matching rifle that has been bulk refinished and X stamped - it was not soldiers doing the work, arsenal workers - they were getting the rifles ready to use in the field, not for collectors - though they went into storage first.

It has been the craze in the US and Europe to retrofit these rifles - stripping the shellac, and removing the black, to make them look more authentic - a company out there also makes a business of removing the X marks on their retrofitted rifles - (I own one, use it as a movie gun with a lot of other junk RC's) and they have been faking the serial on the bolt and other parts to match for a long, long time.

Yugo captures are another story.

Suggest you go to the K98 collectors forum for your info.

Good luck,

Pit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3