Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Stg 44 relic

Article about: Here we go ladies and gents. i just got this STG 44 for next to nothing. I will clean this rifle up and put it on my wall. Will post new pictures with the entire cleaning and restauration pr

Default Stg 44 relic

Here we go ladies and gents. i just got this STG 44 for next to nothing. I will clean this rifle up and put it on my wall. Will post new pictures with the entire cleaning and restauration process, which will take me at least one month of cleaning, scrubbing and polishing EVERY SINGLE part.
    Step 1. Add vinegar (3-5 days soaking time). Vinegar will eat all the rust from the metal.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stg 44 relic   Stg 44 relic  

Stg 44 relic   Stg 44 relic  

Sweet, who doesn't love a nice stg44 relic ---- Look forward to seeing the progress and final outcome! I've got one too but I haven't dared disassembling it completely, although it has crossed my mind- good luck!

Pains me to see in that condition but respect your efforts to make it look more original again. I heard Kroil works well on rust also but you have your work cut out on this baby. Still a great piece of history in any shape. Thanks for sharing.

Thumbs up

Great relic - thanks for posting, and I look forward to future updates.....

Interesting. There is a new product out that relic guys might want to look in to called "Metal Rescue". You can buy it on Amazon for fairly cheap. I watched a video on some one using it, and it looks like some really good stuff. Just thought I'd mention it! (and,no-I don't sell it! lol)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...827846528&_rdr
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Vinegar does wonders when it comes to rust removal, believe me. It will melt rust away and leave bare metal 100% rust free. It works great for me. And it's natural too

Vinegar is also very good on removing green and even brown verdigris from bronze. It takes awhile, but it works good. Many museums use it for restoring ancient bronzes.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Work has begun!I tried to blue the stock plate metal part to sort off see what it would look like in the end
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stg 44 relic   Stg 44 relic  

Last edited by nicholass; 09-22-2016 at 01:25 PM.

I have read heating or almost boiling the vinegar works better?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    I have read heating or almost boiling the vinegar works better?
    Just don't mix it with bleach, it can kill you. That amounts to chlorine gas and has been particularly effective in killing a lot of Syrian people in the last few months.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast