Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A surprise acquisition!

Article about: Can anyone please comment on the viability of this rifle as a functioning weapon? I've never encountered a hybrid like this before, and I'm curious to know if this was potentially put togeth

Default A surprise acquisition!

Yesterday, I was at college working with a photography tutor I hadn't previously spoke to before (I'm an illustrator), and the topic of my weapons collection came up. He said that there was some kind of rifle in college, in a storeroom after being used as a drama prop years ago- I told him I was interested in seeing it, and he went and returned with this rifle. So after a couple of minutes of me standing in a darkroom inspecting a bolt-action (it was a weird day), the tutor offered it to me, saying it had lay in a store room for a long time mostly unknown to people, and he didn't know what to do with it. I gladly accepted! My first thought was of course "How do I leave college with a rifle?", which was very conveniently solved with a black zip-up sportsbag he had, which fit perfectly. When I set off to college yesterday, I didn't imagine I'd be coming home with an old gun!

OK, so identification- I started searching the markings, and found a similar rifle made by the same manufacturer, but nothing of the exact weapon. My first thought is that it was merely a drama prop replica due to its crudely-fitting parts, though it's as sturdy as my Mosin Nagant, and has markings I wouldn't have expected on a prop. The still gun dry-fires (a VERY stiff bolt!). All I know at this point is it's French! I've never been knowledgeable on rifles, especially anything outside of German or Soviet territory, so any help here would be very much appreciated. I imagine someone here could probably tell me in a heartbeat what exactly I brought home yesterday...

Right now, I can't afford to add to my collection for some time, so a free weapon has made that a little more tolerable. It's also my first gun that's neither German or Russian.

Please pardon my hasty pictures, they aren't the greatest.

Mat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A surprise acquisition!   A surprise acquisition!  

A surprise acquisition!   A surprise acquisition!  

A surprise acquisition!  

Default Re: A surprise acquisition!

Hello, you have a part of Gras with a German Mauser Wood

- - Updated - -

http://armesfrancaises.free.fr/fusil%20d%27infanterie%20Mle%201874.html

Cool weapon. I believe it is a Chassepot, officially known as Fusil modèle 1866 Google it, see if you can find a match

Good day at school!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    Hello, you have a part of Gras with a German Mauser Wood

- - Updated - -

armement reglementaire francais les fusils
    Wow, I believe you're right! I've never held a Mauser before, but I should be familiar with them, can't believe I didn't recognise it now. I guess the mis-matched parts threw me off! So that explains the mis-matched bolt cavity on the side, and the internal magazine space that couldn't work- I assumed it must have been something else. It also explains how awkwardly-matched the action and the stock are. The action almost matches this: File:Fusil Gras M80 1874 culasse.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia however, mine has a turned-down bolt.

This leads me to wonder how and when this Frankenstein piece came about, I presume it was indeed put together as a prop... seems like it'd have been easier to just obtain one whole rifle though, I can't imagine such spare parts are that common. Can both parts be dated at all?

Steve, you were close in your suggestion, the actions look very similar, but lebus12 hit the nail on the head: Fusil Gras mle 1874 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the replies so far!

Mat

In France, see on the net it is sold for hunting use...Curious. But why not. So a hunter can make that.

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    Steve, you were close in your suggestion, the actions look very similar, but lebus12 hit the nail on the head: Fusil Gras mle 1874 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    BAH ! The 1866 stamp on it I thought was the clincher......

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    In France, see on the net it is sold for hunting use...Curious. But why not. So a hunter can make that.
    I don't know, but I imagine that if this was ever fired, it would eventually break? I'm presuming that it hasn't seen use since being put together like this, but I'm no expert on gun modification. It's definitely unique if nothing else!

Also, I realise it isn't truly my first non-German or Soviet weapon now afterall!

Mat

Interesting looking piece. Would make a great wall hanger.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Quote by guns ltd View Post
    Interesting looking piece. Would make a great wall hanger.

John
    It is a strange one, isn't it?

It occurred to me earlier that there are no deactivation proof marks on the rifle, so I decided to investigate- I probed the barrel, which turns out to be totally clear. The action still works also, as mentioned. As this weapon is of an obsolete calibre, am I right in assuming this is legal to own without license or deactivation?

Mat

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast