Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SVT 40 Sniper

Article about: Some photos of the SVT 40. [IMG]http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac100/samnev_photos/SVT40Sniper04.jpg[/IMG

?

Default re: SVT 40 Sniper

Some photos of the SVT 40.

[IMG]http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac100/samnev_photos/SVT40Sniper04.jpg[/IMG

?

I have seen several pictures on the net of legitimate snipers on both Gunboards.com and G43 forum. 1 was a Kovrov, another an Izzy and of course a few Tula's. I did not find any C or CH markings on any of them as you would find in PE/PEM or PU snipers. The posters on both those sites really know soviet weapons. That is where I usually go for information.

?

I just said that officially sniper SVT's were produced only in Tula (38006 in 1941 and 14220 in 1942). But some number of Izzy and Podolsk (yes, Podolsk, not Kovrov, SVT's never were produced in Kovrov, it's a mistake) rifles were converted to snipers in army workshops during war. If they have lack of sniper rifles, they just take rifles with best accuracy, and add notch for mount fixing to them (because rails were allmost at all SVT issued in 1940-1941).
    Some of such rifles were founded in ground at battlefields, so they certainly exist.
    You could read more here, use Google translation, it's russian forum
    Снайперские СВТ-40, история, года выпуска, серии, номера, маркировка

Besides, your scope could be correct for SVT, but unfortunately it was reworked (it has digit repair marks at the tube between scales) to use it at Mosin-Nagant - top scale of distance was replaced for Mosin Nagant ballistics. Look at the picture, SVT scale at left, Mosin at the right. Note the distance between 0 and 1, 1 and 2 and 3. And usually the lower edge of the scale have less diameter

So here are photos of Tula Snipers

And here is Izzy rework, note the difference in accuracy between notches for mount fixing
    Last edited by 16225; 04-07-2012 at 01:59 PM.

?

I agree with almost everything you said except this "But some number of Izzy and Podolsk (yes, Podolsk, not Kovrov, SVT's never were produced in Kovrov, it's a mistake)" Am I incorrect but isn't the arrow in the rectangle the Kovrov factory marking on this SVT 40? The receiver notch on my SVT is the same as the one you posted. However I did not find the C marking on the side of the receiver. So back it goes to the seller. Thanks for showing me the location.

?

I don't know where this mistake came from ....
    SVT's with such logo that you posted were manufactured in Podolsk, at factory №460.
    At russian forum, that i posted in previous message, one user write that because of this mistake press service of Kovrov gun plant recieve many requests about quantity of produced SVT's, and they are tired to response that they never produced them
    Besides,Podolsk SVT's have have the biggest quantity of delays in shooting according to comparative test of SVT's produced by all factories...

Maybe it's hard to believe in it, because I'm just a user with 19 posts at the forum, and everywhere you could read that Kovrov issued SVT's, but it's a true

Kovrov logo is similar, but not the same. Here it is at PPSH

Last edited by 16225; 04-07-2012 at 08:37 PM.

I have two svt 40 rifles.One has the tula arsenal marked scope mounts and the notch on the top of the receiver to hold the scope in place when a small metal key is inserted in the mount. This prevents the scope flying off the rifle when the rifle is fired.A full account of this rifle and pictures plus a prolific discussion is elsewhere on this website under my user name. britrecko.The rifle still fails to eject the round due to some previous owner scoring the rifling at the opening.I have used steel ammo but even the copper washed does not completely eject.What can be done to solve this problem?

?

It sounds like the same problem I had with a Tula refurb. The problem turned out to be a pitted chamber. When fired (using steel cased Czech Silvertip) the case would not extract completely in some cases the extra would rip thru the rim. I had a friend of mine who is a gunsmith polish the chamber with Valve grinding compound. going thru the trigger release hole with a rod then attached a 45 caliber rifle swap with the compound on it and slowly polished the chamber. Took a few trials before we corrected the problem. Been 4 years a the rifle still functions perfectly. I use a 12 gauge shot gun brush clean.o clean the chamber from the rear to make sure it's clean. Hope that helps.

?

Quote by 16225 View Post
    I don't know where this mistake came from ....
    SVT's with such logo that you posted were manufactured in Podolsk, at factory №460.
    At russian forum, that i posted in previous message, one user write that because of this mistake press service of Kovrov gun plant recieve many requests about quantity of produced SVT's, and they are tired to response that they never produced them
    Besides,Podolsk SVT's have have the biggest quantity of delays in shooting according to comparative test of SVT's produced by all factories...

Maybe it's hard to believe in it, because I'm just a user with 19 posts at the forum, and everywhere you could read that Kovrov issued SVT's, but it's a true

Kovrov logo is similar, but not the same. Here it is at PPSH

The number of posts you have is of no consequence. I found them very helpful and thank you for you very valuable input. I learned a lot. Keep the advise coming I am sure you will be helping many board members in the future.
    Regards,
    Sam

Thank you Samnev. I will follow your advice.

?

Quote by britrecko View Post
    Thank you Samnev. I will follow your advice.
    I hope it works out for you. If 45 caliber swab is to small I also use a 12 gauge shot gun swab to finish cleaning the chamber. I first clean the chamber with a GI ratchet chamber brush thoroughly soaked in Hoppe's then swab it out. It's extremely important to get the chamber clean with something other than a cleaning rod which wont really do a good job.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast