Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SVT 40 Sniper

Article about: Some photos of the SVT 40. [IMG]http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac100/samnev_photos/SVT40Sniper04.jpg[/IMG

?

Default re: SVT 40 Sniper

i have a gunsmith who can and will clean out the chamber of my svt 40 sniper with the correct rails, scope and notch as described in the previous posts but he will need some ammo for the test firings. my last attempt to fire used steel case ammo but was copper washed. incomplete ejection but better than before.My question. Is there any ammo produced that is just steel cased without any other lacquer applied. if not why not? What does the extra coating do when applied to the cartridge case?

?

I have used Czech Silver Tip for over 10 year in my SVT 40, AVS 36, 1910 HMG and my RP 46 without a single problem. I have come across A few SVT's that had failures to eject and it was usually caused bu 1 o f 2 things. Gas setting to low, or a pitted chamber and flute area. I friend of mine was only cleaning the bore of his SVT and not the chamber area with the proper sized brush. I use a 20 gauge brush and go in thru the trigger group take down hole, attach the brush and scrub the chamber. The use a 12 gauge patch. My friend was able to have a gunsmith polish his chamber with valve grinding compound. He now cleans the chamber religiously. If it's a gas problem use the SVT tool or a small wrench, losten the gas piston and set the gas setting 1 step higher. Hope that helps.

Great advice. Very helpful. thank you for the prompt information .
    I have mislaid the key that slides in the hole and over the notch and holds the scope rails firm so that when the rifle is fired, the scope does not slide back. do you have any suggestions for a replacement or knowledge of where i can find an original or replica replacement.

I have always been quite fond of the SVT-40. Congrats, yours is a beauty.

Quote by 16225 View Post
    Intresting to see pics!
    Izhevsk never officially issued sniper SVT40, they were issued only by Tula (38006 were issued in 1941).
    Does yor rifle has any "C" mark?
    Some Izzy rifles with notch for mount fixing are know, but it's hard to say when this modification was made - during war or post war.
    Usually notch is unacturate, not as at Tula sniper rifles.
    Hi

I have just picked up a 1941 Tula made SVT-40, are you saying if it does not have the C mark, its not an authentic sniper variant ??? Cheers

?

Default Re: SVT 40 Sniper

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Hi

I have just picked up a 1941 Tula made SVT-40, are you saying if it does not have the C mark, its not an authentic sniper variant ??? Cheers
    The lack of a C or CH mark on SVT snipers has been a hot topic on many sites. As posted before many were converted in the field to snipers and the notch to hold the scope isn't the same as the Tula factory issued snipers an probably did not have the C marking. No sure way to tell one way or the other. If you are happy with your sniper I wouldn't have any regrets,I know I would not.
    Cheers,
    Sam

Hi Sam

Thanks for that, mine does have the C on the receiver. It’s numbered 377 on the stock, receiver and the trigger and bolt. Also has the correct notch at the rear

Interestingly, on the left side, there seems to have been a cut out, it’s been filled in with a piece of wood, is it possible it once had a Mosin Scope fitted?

Cheers
    Martin

?

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Hi Sam

Thanks for that, mine does have the C on the receiver. It’s numbered 377 on the stock, receiver and the trigger and bolt. Also has the correct notch at the rear

Interestingly, on the left side, there seems to have been a cut out, it’s been filled in with a piece of wood, is it possible it once had a Mosin Scope fitted?

Cheers
    Martin
    Hi Martin,
    Sorry missed your post. With Russian rifles any thing is possible. The easiest way to tell if it had a Mosin rail mounted is to take the stock out of the wood and look for the holes (they may be welded over) that would be there in order to mount the rail for the Mosin scope and rail if was ever on the rifle.
    Cheers,
    Sam

great looking SVT.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast