Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Taisho T14 'Nambu' Auto pistol in 8mm

Article about: Hello-the Taisho 14 pistol was adopted by the Japanese army in 1926 (14th year of the reign of Emperor Taisho was 1925-this was one of several equipment designation systems used by the Japan

Default Taisho T14 'Nambu' Auto pistol in 8mm

Hello-the Taisho 14 pistol was adopted by the Japanese army in 1926 (14th year of the reign of Emperor Taisho was 1925-this was one of several equipment designation systems used by the Japanese forces). It was intended as a simpler to produce pistol to equip the expanding Imperial army and was the first auto pistol to be issued to officers as previous pistols had to be privately purchased by them.

This example was made in January 1941 as it is marked '16.1' (16th year of production,Jan.)-unusual for a weapon to have the month of production stated on it but standard on this type. It is a mid production example with the enlarged winter trigger guard for gloved hands adopted in the late thirties and still with the earlier milled knurled cocking knob-finish and production methods deteriorated as the war situation went ever more against the Japanese after 1942.

While well balanced and well made (at least until later in the war) the type has several faults including using a low powered round, the 8 x 21mm Nambu and a weak firing pin striker spring, in contrast to 2 strong cocking springs that rest the breech block against magazine top when the last round is fired, making it very difficult to remove for reloading. The clamshell holster is repro but a good one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Taisho T14 'Nambu' Auto pistol in 8mm   Taisho T14 'Nambu' Auto pistol in 8mm  

Taisho T14 'Nambu' Auto pistol in 8mm   Taisho T14 'Nambu' Auto pistol in 8mm  

Taisho T14 'Nambu' Auto pistol in 8mm  

Default Re: Taisho T14 'Nambu' Auto pistol in 8mm

I've always found these an odd design - kind of like a cross between
    a Luger and a Webley - but they look like they would be very
    comfortable to hold and shoot.

Nice one............!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Nice pistol and very nice holster.
    I have a couple of them. An early one and a late war one.
    SteveR

Nice! I have a Type 14 that was a gift from a friend. His dad brought it home from Tarawa. I've never fired it, though I do have some ammo.