MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

These just don't walk into my shop..

Article about: Cody: Could you please explain what you mean by "shooters kit?" Thanks. Luke

?

I don't know much about these but it looks bloody amazing!

Question for you guys in the States...
    What's with the obsession to fire antique weapons?
    When I watch TV shows like Pawn Stars etc, they think it most important that an antique Blunderbuss or a Colt 45 Peacemaker for example, has to still shoot or it's worthless. Why would anyone want to risk blowing up the firearm and posiibly injuring themselves at the same time.

I can totally understand wanting to fire 20th Century weapons unless they're really rare but that's a different thing entirely isn't it?

Very nice rifle indeed.

I don't think that anyone intends to shoot a rare gun alot, but rather they are simply testing them for functionality. It's something like having a beautiful gold pocket watch or a wooden cased tube radio. It's simply a matter of seeing if they are still in the condition they were made to be and then we leave them alone as too valuable to continue using them. Antique cars are the same thing-no one wants to drive around a Model T Ford every day, but we want to know that they are in running condition nonetheless. For American's viewpoints, it's unfortunate in the UK that a firearm is not allowed to be kept in it's original state, but it's fully understood that if that is the only way that such a thing can be owned, then that is just the way that it is. Can you imagine being told that you can own a 69 XKE12 Jaguar, but you have to park it in your lot and use a cutting torch to cut it's axles, fuse it's engine block and fill it's fuel system with resin? Well, that's sort of the way that many Americans see the deactivation process in the UK. Shooting a Blunderbuss with a light load charge is simply a way of ascertaining that it is all still there as it was made and is as it was supposed to be. (And personally, I'd Love to see the fake clowns on Pawn Stars have one blow up in their faces,though...and as an American, I Do fully apologize to you and all UKers for the intentional infliction on your country of Pawn Stars and it's related ilk...)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

BenVK - It has less to do with America, than with reality TV, the producers believe gunfire sells, so they encourage it - the 100% manufactured drama of wondering whether a specimen will fire or not, is just the Bozo producer's way of contributing to their crappy TV job.

That is an absolute beauty... wish I still had my G43!!!

Well, I have to say stripping it down for the first time was quite the experience. Not only is this rifle way over engineered, but it is is just a beautiful rifle in its own way. I just wish I could find some extra parts, and maybe a few mags that are not $200 a pop!

Quote by pitfighter View Post
    BenVK - It has less to do with America, than with reality TV, the producers believe gunfire sells, so they encourage it - the 100% manufactured drama of wondering whether a specimen will fire or not, is just the Bozo producer's way of contributing to their crappy TV job.
    Are you telling me you don't like the 4 commercial breaks that happen between loading the firearm, picking it up, sighting in a target and shooting it?

- - ------- - -

Quote by pitfighter View Post
    Are you telling me you don't like the 4 commercial breaks that happen between loading the firearm, picking it up, sighting in a target and shooting it?

NDshooter - I don't make it to the first commercial break, sorry.

Ref. the G43, remember this was the refined version, if you think it is over complicated, take a peek at the G41(m) or even the G41(w) icons of over-engineering that established the ground work for the G43 - someone recommended Darrin Weaver's book "Hitler's Garand" - I cannot agree more, it is an awesome book, and he often sells on Ebay, where I bought mine and had it personalized by him.

Check GB or Ebay for parts, also gunboards, there are always parts available and quite a few repro replacements parts out there, including the Apfeltor shooting kit of course (better to put this in before shooting, to save original parts) - there are even repro (or post-war European) magazines, that may need a little tweaking but start around $90 or so.
    This platform has a lot of fans, and they have been busy - there is no reason not to take it out and enjoy it.

Just don't shoot Turk 8mm -

Happy collecting,

Pit.

These just don't walk into my shop..

Just a quick question Guys. Have read these G-41s and K43s are prone to breakage during firing. I have heard they tend to shed safetys and extractors. Is this because of a poor design or metal fatigue.? Were they rushed into production before all the bugs were ironed out? Would love to hear your replies.

The G41 was not the best of designs in the first place. It suffered from the WaA's early dislike of gas operated weapons (they thought drilled gas ports would affect accuracy). The K43 was a much better weapon, given it copied the Soviet SVT40's gas system.

Breakges were not an issue 70 odd years ago, but now they are a problem. As Pit has already mentioned, K43 springs should be replaced if you plan on shooting one today.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast