Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thompson M1A1

Article about: Hi Guys, this one is not actually mine, but a friend allowed me to take some pics to share with you. The M1A1 came out of Russia and was sent there as "Lend-Lease" material but nev

Default Thompson M1A1

Hi Guys, this one is not actually mine, but a friend allowed me to take some pics to share with you.

The M1A1 came out of Russia and was sent there as "Lend-Lease" material but never really used.

Fitted with a 20 round mag. The Kerr sling shown is a reproduction.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thompson M1A1   Thompson M1A1  

Thompson M1A1   Thompson M1A1  

Thompson M1A1   Thompson M1A1  

Thompson M1A1  

Johnnie
    ?

Default Re: Thompson M1A1

Hi Ade,

Nice pics of a classic. Evidently there was a tremendous ammount of US small arms sent to the Russians under Lend Lease, but they don't seem to have had the front line use that American trucks and tanks did.
    Do your Russian sources indicate what use the Russians did make of them, and what became of them? I'm curious if they were part of their small arms refurbishing project of the 70's when they refurbished all the German capture and their own older small arms.

Cheers,
    Johnnie

Hi Johnnie, I think the guns were not unpopular as such, but the logistic worries about the none (Russian) standard .45 ammo prevented their use in any numbers.

These weapons did not need refurbishment and were placed in the same storage as the German captured re-worked weapons.

Cheers, Ade.

Johnnie
    ?

Hi Ade,

Would love to see all of those M-1's and carbines as well as the .45's hit the market!

Johnnie

I have not heard of the former Soviet war reserve stocks (actually Ukrainian) having any of these.

Likewise they have not released MP40's or MP44's but logically they must have them...

Cheers, Ade.

Johnnie
    ?

It would be interesting to find out what they have done with the US small arms they recieved. I know they exported some of the German weapons to small conflict areas. I saw 98K's and MG-34's in Vietnam, and have heard that others ended up in Africa. I have never heard of any wartime US weapons that could be traced to Leand Lease showing up in quantity anywhere. Interesting subject.

Cheers,
    Johnnie

?

Hi)
    Im from Ukraine)) So we have and sell alot of tommies.. ь1928бь1928ф1бь1ф1ю

deactivated ofcourse ... I dont like it.. too heavy..

Hi Johnnie,

Most of those German weapons were captured from the SS battalion the French had fighting for them in Vietnam in the 50's. They were completely equipped with German arms.

Gary
    Quote by Johnnie View Post
    It would be interesting to find out what they have done with the US small arms they recieved. I know they exported some of the German weapons to small conflict areas. I saw 98K's and MG-34's in Vietnam, and have heard that others ended up in Africa. I have never heard of any wartime US weapons that could be traced to Leand Lease showing up in quantity anywhere. Interesting subject.

Cheers,
    Johnnie

?

Hi Ade

Nice Chopper. I had been told that the Russian TSMGs had some sort of acceptance mark or proof mark on them but I have never seen one. I did not see one on yours. Are there any proof/acceptance marks on it?
    Doc

Hi Doc, there are none that I can see. The Thompson goes back to my friend this weekend as I had only borrowed it to do a few pics for the forum.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast