Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Thompson M1A1 measurements

Article about: Hey guys,I have a denix Thompson coming and want to convert it into a M1A1..I have the rear sight and charging handle coming and will do the machining and filling myself but I need some meas

?

Default Thompson M1A1 measurements

Hey guys,I have a denix Thompson coming and want to convert it into a M1A1..I have the rear sight and charging handle coming and will do the machining and filling myself but I need some measurements and cant seem to find anything helpful on the net..I need the measurement from the rear of the receiver to the rear of the backsight and the measurement from the rear of the receiver to the start of the charging handle cut out and the dimensions of the charging handle cut out including that little half notch at the bottom(no idea what that's for)..if anyone has a M1A1 and wouldn't mind spending a few minutes measuring I would be very grateful..or if anyone knows of any website that could supply those measurements that would be great as well,thanks Sean

I have two M1A1s I can measure for you. This forum has a Thompson specific website, very much a collectors group here -

MachineGunBoards.com Forums

?

Hi HSMaxim,if you could take some measurements that would be fantastic..in oz our gun laws are ridiculous and all replica M1A1's produced were at some point an airsoft gun(which are banned here also)so customs wont allow importation..seems like modding a denix is the only way,cheers Sean

Today was a busy day and I did not have a chance to dig them out of the safe. Tomorrow should be a bit slower and I will be sure to get those measurements for you.

?

Oh no worries at all mate..i don't have the denix yet and have lots to continue with when it does,cheers Sean

The cutout along the lower edge of the bolt slot is used when removing the bolt handle during disassembly and assembly.

From the rear of the sight base to the edge of the rear of the receiver -25 mm

Bolt handle slot to rear of receiver - 12.5 cm

Slot width - 13 mm

Slot length - 10.8 cm

Bolt removal cutout height - 14 mm

Center of bolt cutout from rear of slot - 4.7 cm

?

Hi HSMaxim,thank you very much for that..im not a hundred percent sure what you mean by "Bolt removal cutout height - 14 mm"...did you mean the length between the front and back corners?

".....including that little half notch at the bottom....."

The 14 mm is the height of the small cutout in the slot. Looking at the height of the slot and the cutout measurements I gave they do not look correct, will measure those again today.

?

Yeah that's what I was wondering..looking at the width of the slot being 13mm the height inside the bolt cutout looks like around the 21-22mm mark somewhere..