Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thompson serial number help.

Article about: Not only were they supplied as individual small arms, they were also supplied as part of the standard kit that went in the Shermans. The Russians pulled them out and stored them b/c they did

Default Re: Thompson serial number help.

Not only were they supplied as individual small arms, they were also supplied as part of the standard kit that went in the Shermans. The Russians pulled them out and stored them b/c they didn't have the ammo to support their use.

partisan42
    ?

Very true that the U.S sent Thompsons to Russia for lend-lease. My understanding is that not too many of them were actually used by the Russians. Interestingly, most of the Thompson parts kits (disassembled gun minus receiver or with cut receiver) sold in the U.S. are re-imported guns released from Russian reserves.

dekowaffentuerkdotcom
    ?

Hello,
    yes i think partisan42 is right,
    we have a huge amount of thompson m1, m1a1 and 1928a1 here in our shop and they are almost all in mint condition. They come from ukraine and allmost all of the little damages come from transport.
    I have only seen about 2 or 3 with with signs of war time use ??? so it seems that almost all were never used in combat by the russians. They were delivered to russia with thompson 5 cell magpouch (earliest date 1943) and M1936 pistol belt (od green and khaki). all of these acessories returned from russia in unused condition. This could be another sign that thompson submachinguns were never used by the russians in ww2.
    regards paul

Quote by dekowaffentuerkdotcom View Post
    Hello,
    yes i think partisan42 is right,
    we have a huge amount of thompson m1, m1a1 and 1928a1 here in our shop and they are almost all in mint condition. They come from ukraine and allmost all of the little damages come from transport.
    I have only seen about 2 or 3 with with signs of war time use ??? so it seems that almost all were never used in combat by the russians. They were delivered to russia with thompson 5 cell magpouch (earliest date 1943) and M1936 pistol belt (od green and khaki). all of these acessories returned from russia in unused condition. This could be another sign that thompson submachinguns were never used by the russians in ww2.
    regards paul
    Sounds very possible for this weapon. I bought the Thompson, you can view some pictures here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firea...pson-m1-13664/

- It looks almost mint condition, it is very neat!

/Mick

?

From Wiki

The Soviet Union received M1928A1s, included as standard equipment with the M3 light tanks obtained through Lend-Lease. The weapons were never issued to the Red Army, because of a lack of .45 ACP ammunition on the Eastern Front, and were simply put in storage. As of September 2006, limited numbers of these weapons have been re-imported from Russia
    I'm sure some M1A1's were sent to Russia as well.....

Gentlemen,

Here is the photo Ade was talking about. Soviet troops with U.S. Lend-Lease equipment and Thompson M1928A1s.

Regards,

Gus
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thompson serial number help.  

Thanks Gus, that is indeed the very one.

Cheers, Ade.

Rytons is only up the road from me and Fredie the armourer confirmed that their Thompsons came from Soviet Mines (Used as storage) and are unissued. Apparantly all the .45 ammo for these guns were on a single ship which the Germans sunk. Bugger!

My .30 cal Browning is also one of the Ex russian Lend lease items.

Here's the cover of the Russian Thompson manual,1942.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thompson serial number help.  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3