Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thought I'd show my sniper rifles

Article about: When I grow up I want to be just like you! Seriously great collection.

Default Re: Thought I'd show my sniper rifles

I love your M91/30. That thing with a lovely PU scope on top and a hex receiver is my dream rifle. I prefer Tula manufacture. : )

What's the manufacturer and year on yours?

?

Oh great, now someone tells me how rare these tripods and scopes are, we had these at my old cadet unit which our sgt major used to use at Ash and Hythe ranges when we were qualifying for our marksmanship badges, mind you it was 40 yrs ago but if i knew then etc, but what a terrific collection you have, the enfields hold a special place in my heart and i reckon they were one of the finest weapons produced and i loved shooting them

?

ObKrieger,
    the rifle is a 44 dated Izhevsk but mismatched as it is Vietnam bring back and is an original sniper as indicated by original scope numbers stamped on the right side of the barrel chamber just above the stock line. No papers but the guy I got it from stated is was and all indications indicate it is. For example the large screw securing the scope to the mount is a crudely made replacement and a non shellaced stock. And of course the rifle has no import stamps. Ray
    Thought I'd show my sniper riflesThought I'd show my sniper riflesThought I'd show my sniper rifles
    Last edited by RayG; 11-18-2010 at 04:03 AM.

Very nice ray.... Stop by table N34 at SOS 2011....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Will do Bill. Is that the same table you were at last show by the post/pillar? Ray

Quote by RayG View Post
    Will do Bill. Is that the same table you were at last show by the post/pillar? Ray
    Ray, Yes same place by the post...............BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Some Nice pieces there Ray if I remember right Ray a matching G43 at RIA a few years ago went for 16G's + auction fees.I recollect properly that Walter would test these rifles at the factory for sniper configuration and if it passed at that point everything was numbered to the rifle(scope +mount).I heard of another fella who mentioned he had received an M1D at a lottery deal with CMP also definitly on the wish list.Cheers Kevin

?

Not really a scoped sniper rifle but none the less one that was probably used for night sniping in WWI is this French 07/15 Berthier Rifle that is equiped with an early version of a night sight .
    Some of these rifles were made for a short time in 1916 and again in March 1917 having primitive night sights like this one. The modification consisted of placing a small amount of fluorescent radium in a small 1/8" deep rounded hole on the front sight facing the shooter and two on the back of the rear sight leaf , one on each side of the sight notch. The front sight is a block sight and the rear sight has a squared off notch for centering the fluorescent front sight in the notch between the fluorescent filled rear sight holes .
    Today, the rifles rarely retain any trace of the radium, but the night sighted rifles command a slight premium to collectors as they are relatively uncommon. Ray
    Thought I'd show my sniper riflesThought I'd show my sniper riflesThought I'd show my sniper rifles

Oh I'm in love with that No.4 trials rifle converted to No.4 T spec. Theres not to many of those around.

?

Thanks for sharing! Excellent!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast