Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Triple Crown of Japanese Military WWI/WWII pistols and accessories. Type 26, 14 and 94.

Article about: As part of my WWI/WWII pistol collection I collected the Japanese triple crown of Military sidearms which are the Type 26 Revolver, Type 14 and Type 94 semi-auto pistols. Here for your inspe

?

Default The Triple Crown of Japanese Military WWI/WWII pistols and accessories. Type 26, 14 and 94.

As part of my WWI/WWII pistol collection I collected the Japanese triple crown of Military sidearms which are the Type 26 Revolver, Type 14 and Type 94 semi-auto pistols. Here for your inspection are pretty nice examples of each of these pistols with the appropriate accessories and yes, they are still fully active.

The first in this group is the very recognizable Type 14 pistol with the large Manchurian trigger guard to allow use of gloves with the pistol. The date code on the pistol is 19.9 which shows it was made in September of 1944 and the gun has one original matched magazine that came with it.

The second in the group is this Type 26 revolver which is in particularly nice condition with a unique serial number 49994. FYI. This pistol is double action only and has a pretty smooth trigger pull.

Lastly, the third gun in this group is the somewhat ugly Type 94 which was designed as a replacement for the difficult to make Type 14. This early pistol has a date code 16.7 which shows it was made in July of 1941 and it also came with an original matching magazine. Of special note is the somewhat scarce course weave, canvas, last ditch holster for the gun.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Triple Crown of Japanese Military WWI/WWII pistols and accessories. Type 26, 14 and 94.   The Triple Crown of Japanese Military WWI/WWII pistols and accessories. Type 26, 14 and 94.  

The Triple Crown of Japanese Military WWI/WWII pistols and accessories. Type 26, 14 and 94.   The Triple Crown of Japanese Military WWI/WWII pistols and accessories. Type 26, 14 and 94.  

The Triple Crown of Japanese Military WWI/WWII pistols and accessories. Type 26, 14 and 94.   The Triple Crown of Japanese Military WWI/WWII pistols and accessories. Type 26, 14 and 94.  

Attached Images Attached Images The Triple Crown of Japanese Military WWI/WWII pistols and accessories. Type 26, 14 and 94. 

Default Re: The Triple Crown of Japanese Military WWI/WWII pistols and accessories. Type 26, 14 and 94.

I would have to rate the Japanese as the most outrageous looking guns made by any side during the war. Some of them almost look like Toys. You said these 3 are still active? Have you fired them? We never did buy them, back in the day, as the ammunition was always so Hard-if not impossible- to find. Back in the 60's you could find them in the holsters looking like new with all the accessories for less than 25-30 bucks, but we always figured "If you can't shoot it-why buy it?" lol Now I wish that we had picked them up Anyway! These 3 are Beautys! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Default Re: The Triple Crown of Japanese Military WWI/WWII pistols and accessories. Type 26, 14 and 94.

I agree with the above.....

Very nice, Rambob! Thanks for showing them.

Regards

Very impressive "Triple Crown" set! Thanks you for sharing.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Very nice Japanese sidearms and accessories...The condition of all three is excellent...Type 94 is extremely dangerous by design and as another Forum member wrote.."it was called the 'surrender gun' because you can fire the loaded pistol by simply pressing the side sear bar"...
    Regards, Thanos.

?

Everyone, thanks for the kind words. I have fired all three of the pistols a few rounds each, thanks to ammunition made by Midway. They all went "bang" very nice. Thanos, Each of the three pistols have at least one design flaw that could have proved unexpectedly fatal to someone. As you mentioned the Type 94 does have the sear that could be depressed by a very strong finger to fire the gun without pulling the trigger. Fatal to the Allied soldier having the gun passed to him muzzle first. I doubt if this ever happened though since the Japanese officers were not prone to surrendering and they had to have a really strong finger/thumb. The Type 14 has a nasty habit of breaking off the brittle tip of the firing pin, causing the pistol to not fire when needed. Fatal to Japanese Officer. The Type 26 cylinder was not locked when at rest and could spin in the holster putting a fired chamber in line with the hammer, causing the pistol not to go bang when needed. Again fatal to Japanese officer. Overall the pistols look cool and are well made, but I would never trust them as a reliable combat weapon.

These are all very nice indeed.

Pretty to look at, but like you say, not ones to be trusted.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Awesome examples, thanks for showing.
    These are the only pistols, that we are allowed to have, even deactivated.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Very good examples of deeply flawed designs-the Japanese did at least address the T14 firing pin problem but many faults remained-needing 3 hands to operate it while changing magazines would top my list-only crew served auto pistol ever and then there's the little matter of the weak striker spring...

PS There was a recent posting here of a Japanese contract FN M1910 so they at least had some idea of what a half decent service pistol should have been-even more astounding!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast