Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tula SVT-40 Sniper Variant

Article about: Hi Ade, Yes I have seen the reproductions, I have given them a thought, I would like to keep it all ww2 period, and obviously because it’s deactivated they would never be used in anger as it

Default Re: Tula SVT-40 Sniper Variant

They are never cheap.....

Sometimes these have them:

PU SVT for SVT-40

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    They are never cheap.....

Sometimes these have them:

PU SVT for SVT-40

Cheers, Ade.

Cheers Ade, just looked, none for the SVT I will keep an eye on that sight..pardon the pun haha

I have seen a couple of original scopes on fleabay but no mounts, i think they are few and far between !!

Cheers
    M

?

Martin an excellent rifle I don't much about them but I think they are a cracking rifles for what you pay.... I might need to look into 1 plus a million other things.. Just a question where does the scope go, is it nearer the rear of the weapon or more to the front like you sometimes see on the K98 carbine "Karabiner".. A little Deutsch there been brushing up lol... Any way I like it thanks for posting, & make sure you put that sheet back in the airing cupboard lol. Cheers Terry.

?

Agree - Definitely an arsenal refurb. Stock repaired done as part of, and during the refurbishment.
    Regards,
    John

THese are common factory repairs. One can see these on many of the refurbed rifles. On Mosin's they are sometimes asserted as ''sniper stocks'' which have been decommissioned....no, just repairs.

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Just had a thought actually, could the nicley jointed piece of wood inserted on the left of the stock be a repair ???

All opinons greatly appreciated !!!

I am looking for an original scope and mount if anyone has one !!!!

Real mounts not with a rifle already are very rare. Having said that I did see ONE that was for sale on the E which went for a reasonable (whatever that means) price. However, reproductions are about 250. I nice SVT style scope which has not been recalibrated to a M91/30 will cost you more than that and the maker will also effect the price.

Leningrad/Progress scope should be the cheapest. A Kharkov will be a bit more.

PU scopes in an SVT pattern made in 1942 or later are almost certainly calibrated for an M91/30 setup. Of the 5 makers only the two above would be appropriate I believe. Both are available in 1940 and 1941 dates. I've got a loose 1941 Kharkov here that I'll take some photos of and see if it has been obviously re-calibrated and I'll post pics.

It is a shame it had to be deactivated :-(
    THese are now prohibited from importation into the US :-(

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Cheers Ade, just looked, none for the SVT I will keep an eye on that sight..pardon the pun haha

I have seen a couple of original scopes on fleabay but no mounts, i think they are few and far between !!

Cheers
    M

The 'notch' you see at the rear of the receiver is where the mount locks into place. It slides along those milled groves you see on the sides to hold it into place. The rear the mount holds the rear of the scope before it enlarges (for about 1.5 to 2 inches) and so the scope hangs over the back of the reciever. THese started coming into the US when I was working on my PhD and I was too poor to buy one (or 10!)

See here for more info...
    The SVT Section

Quote by Tango View Post
    Martin an excellent rifle I don't much about them but I think they are a cracking rifles for what you pay.... I might need to look into 1 plus a million other things.. Just a question where does the scope go, is it nearer the rear of the weapon or more to the front like you sometimes see on the K98 carbine "Karabiner".. A little Deutsch there been brushing up lol... Any way I like it thanks for posting, & make sure you put that sheet back in the airing cupboard lol. Cheers Terry.

Quote by Tango View Post
    Hi Terry

I think the guys have answered your question regarding the mounting of the scope !

Yes its not a bad looking rifle, I did not pay much over £100 for it so I am happy ! You do see lots of SVT-40's for sale advertised with " scope rails " but these are not the true sniper variants. Apparently after 1941 they started producing 1000's of SVT's with the rails as standard just in case in the furure they were required to be modified for use with scopes, Ishevsk factory did alot of these modifications I believe.
    Mine is differant in that the Tula factory produced it as a specific sniper rifle from the start, it has the correct factory notch at the rear, not a later addition and also it has the "C " stamp on the side of the receiver which designates it as a true sniper produced variant, this is only from what I have read this week ! so if anybody would like to correct me thats fine.

Its a shame it was arsenal refurbed, they always make a sloppy job of the stock finish, I may improve it a little, what do you guys think? Apparently all the sniper SVT's were put into storage after the war " for a rainy day " as it were

Quote by meyerse View Post
    Real mounts not with a rifle already are very rare. Having said that I did see ONE that was for sale on the E which went for a reasonable (whatever that means) price. However, reproductions are about 250. I nice SVT style scope which has not been recalibrated to a M91/30 will cost you more than that and the maker will also effect the price.

Leningrad/Progress scope should be the cheapest. A Kharkov will be a bit more.

PU scopes in an SVT pattern made in 1942 or later are almost certainly calibrated for an M91/30 setup. Of the 5 makers only the two above would be appropriate I believe. Both are available in 1940 and 1941 dates. I've got a loose 1941 Kharkov here that I'll take some photos of and see if it has been obviously re-calibrated and I'll post pics.

It is a shame it had to be deactivated :-(
    THese are now prohibited from importation into the US :-(
    Hi

Any guidance on which scope and mount would be appropriate, would be appreciated, cheers for looking

Hi Martin, you could always buy a replica mount and new production scope as a cheaper option. Mounts are about $160.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast