Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifles

Article about: Hi, 2 rifles I have had in the collection for a long time. The mid-war rifle with the the upper hand guard and metal butt plate is an interesting rifle. If you notice there are 2 holes in th

Default Two Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifles

Hi, 2 rifles I have had in the collection for a long time. The mid-war rifle with the the upper hand guard and metal butt plate is an interesting rifle. If you notice there are 2 holes in the left side of stock, near the muzzle. When I bought this rifle from the Vet, there was a small brass plate with his name and info, date, and Tinian Island. etc. He wanted to keep the plate when he sold it to me, and I could not talk him out of it, and leave it attached to the rifle.

This was a long time ago, and had no camera, but wish I did now. I did write down that he was USN, and got the rifle in trade from a B-29 crew member on the island of Tinian, just a few days after the second nuclear attack on Nagasaki.

The rifle has a duffle cut also, that was done fairly cleanly and is very solid. It has all matching numbers, and full mum.

The second rifle, a "last ditch" I purchased a long time ago also, before the interest in these "ugly" rifles. This ugly rifle is one of my favorite WW2 weapons I own. Perfect example of how we were putting the squeeze on the Japanese in the final years or the war. It is also 100% matching with full mum, and also has almost all of it's original varnish, or lacquer finish.

I am really not sure what series rifles these are. Maybe another member who knows more about all the series, would be kind enough to post what series these rifles exactly are.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifles   Two Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifles  

Two Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifles   Two Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifles  

Default Re: Two Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifles

More Pics......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifles   Two Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifles  

More pics...........

?

Thumbs up Re: Two Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifles

Beautiful!!!!
    They are both in just great shape. even the last ditch model,that wood butt plate looks like its never been on the ground.
    Very Nice. It is ashame you didn't get it with the plaque attached but I guess to the Vet that part would mean alot!!
    Does the other 99 have the AA sights?

Thanks Phil. Yes, it sure would have been nice to have attached to rifle still.

Sorry, thought i posted a pic of the rear sight. The earlier one has no anti-aircraft "wings", no hole in stock for the cleaning rod, and no mono-pod was ever on it. That is why I really can not tell what series it is. I think it is a transitional model for sure.

Regards, Steve

?

The second rifle shown has a Nagoya arsenal mark on it. The first one I can't make out for sure. The fact that thet are captured rather than the surrendered with a ground mum is very nice
    They are both very nice weapons.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    The second rifle shown has a Nagoya arsenal mark on it. The first one I can't make out for sure.
    They are both very nice weapons.
    Hi, thanks for info. Here is better pic of second rifles mark.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifles  

?

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    Hi, thanks for info. Here is better pic of second rifles mark.

Regards, Steve
    I can't really make it out friend. To much glare. Sorry.

I agree with you Steve that these were captured and still have their mum. The finish is beautiful !

rgds, Ty

Hey Steve,

Nice type 99's, both pictures of the arsenal stamp for the second one have to much of a glare to tell for sure.

If you could post a clear picture of the characters on the receiver of the first one i may be able to help you with that.

Yeah the later rifles or "last ditch" rifles were poorly made.

My favorite has always been the type 38, superior quality materials and build quality(on early models anyway). No matter how banged up they were they would keep on firing, very strong and reliable.

Thanks for sharing mate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast