Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two nice old pistols

Article about: Australia-the percussion muzzle loader would not require a license in Australia, assuming it was made before 1900 (which any original would be)-the pinfire would require a collectors license

Default Two nice old pistols

Hi,
    i got these two nice old pistols yesterday one is a Belgium Pinfire revolver c 1898, minus the trigger guard ( hope i can get one ) the other is like a cannon. It is 19ins long the barrel is 14ins long and 1ins wide, the bore is 5/8th of an ins wide so i really dont know the size of the bore. Or what the pistol was for, it is very heavy, i hope someone can tell me about the percussion pistol, I have to change the hammer on the percussion as it is not original. Two nice old pistolsTwo nice old pistolsTwo nice old pistolsTwo nice old pistols
    Dave.

No markings on the barrel or the sideplates?
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi, i got these two nice old pistols yesterday one is a Belgium Pinfire revolver c 1898, minus the trigger guard ( hope i can get one ) .......
    Many of these pin fire revolver were made without trigger guard: are you sure that it is missing in your gun?
    I think it's older than 1898: at those times the metallic cartridges were without the pin from 10-15 years already.

The pinfire is a belgian proofed Le Faucheux pattern open frame revolver, there was another on here last week. Normally a six shot in 7.65mm, but there were other calibres, the trigger appears to be a fixed one as I can't see the fulcrum screw in the trigger that is seen on all folding types of this pistol. Maybe it or just the guard was changed/removed many years ago, who knows?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi
    Thanks for the info the pinfire it does have the fixed trigger and there are the holes for the guard to afix to it , going by the patina on the metal it was taken off some time back. but i would like to find another to replace it some time, as for the percussion pistol there are no markings on the barrel or side plate but it is a real heavy thing it also has sights so would shoot for at a good range.
    any info would be appreciated on it.
    Dave.

?

I,m wondering if this percussion is a customs type,I dont think its a duelling pistol because of its weight, but i thought customs pistols were always marked with the customs house number and maker plus crown, because of the sights, long barrel etc were these not used by laying over the forearm to steady and support the weight

Oh, how I envy those countries that allow such collecting without the multitude of hoops that one has to jump through here in Australia.

Congrats on the pick ups.

Cheers
    Tim

Quote by big ned View Post
    Normally a six shot in 7.65mm, but there were other calibres, ......
    Calibres for those pinfire were normally the 7mm, 9mm, 12mm. At those times there were no other intermediate caliber.

Hi Davejb
    I have had another really good look for any markings on the percussion pistol but cant find any at all, you may be right with the customs ect as it does seem to be the type to lay over the forearm it does have long distance sights by the looks of things. I hope to refit an original percussion hammer on it soon,
    Dave.
    PS, I have just weighed it and it is 2 1/2 lbs quite heavy for a pistol.
    Last edited by Panzer 3; 06-16-2014 at 06:47 PM.

great looking old Pistols you have there.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast