Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Type 38 Bringback from Guadalcanal with Provenance

Article about: Sold out of the Historical Society Museum. Nice matching Type 38 with provenance. I am still inquiring about the bayonet. The most interesting item is what I am calling a 'rigger made' (Prob

Default Type 38 Bringback from Guadalcanal with Provenance

Sold out of the Historical Society Museum. Nice matching Type 38 with provenance. I am still inquiring about the bayonet. The most interesting item is what I am calling a 'rigger made' (Probably incorrect terminology) leather muzzle cover. I have not ever seen anything like it before and did not find anything in the reference books I have. Came with a nice type 38 sling attached. It is nice to see original condition items as I have very few.
    John

Type 38 Bringback from Guadalcanal with ProvenanceType 38 Bringback from Guadalcanal with ProvenanceType 38 Bringback from Guadalcanal with ProvenanceType 38 Bringback from Guadalcanal with ProvenanceType 38 Bringback from Guadalcanal with ProvenanceType 38 Bringback from Guadalcanal with ProvenanceType 38 Bringback from Guadalcanal with ProvenanceType 38 Bringback from Guadalcanal with Provenance

Looks to be in great condition Rescue. Believe correct caliber is 6.5 on the 38? Not as well versed on Japanese arms as Mausers but I am learning. Only time I fired one was back in early 70s. It was a Type 99 in 7.7 Prices for milsurps seem to be rising rapidly as collectors are grabbing them up. My friend paid $25 for the Type 99 back around 1972!

John,
    I really big score with this one, if this rifle is linked to Guadalcanal WOW!!!! The muzzle cover does look field made and that is cool.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thank you. I should have included that it is Japanese 6.5 mm. I am guessing the muzzle cover was made by a Japanese soldier that lost the one he was issued but we will never know. There is not much of it left. I did do some minor vetting on if the regiment was in Guadalcanal and it was. Some good stories found on the colonel on the net.
    John

That connection to Guadalcanal is awesome. Too bad the gun can't talk of all the experiences!!

Very nice rifle,thanks for showing it!

Why did the Historical Society sell it? Makes me wonder if a vet had donated it years ago. Museums do this sort of thing, sell off stuff families give when a new curator decides it's not needed any more. But good score for you, an example with good provenance.

Sadly, IMHO, it is up to the curator as to when to sell; but not very many curators would ever take something in perpetuity.
    John

Very nice item! My grandfather was in the 6th NCB (Seabees) which landed there on September '42 and stayed until Jan '43. He claimed he had a captured rifle at one point, but traded it away to someone for a bottle of rum.