Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

UK legal old spec Tompson.

Article about: Hi, Not being into ww2 American de-ac guns in any way I thought it best to ask if there is a demand for UK de-act old spec Thompson machine guns. I have been offered one and just don't know

?

That old beauty you should have few problem selling- or even better trade into some trinkets you need for your museum.

There is no problem in sending this to the UK, its a de-ac and has a cert and therefore legal. Our Jersey Post Office will ship it by sea to the Uk, and our Customs Office is also happy to see a copy of the de-ac cert on the box. It may well be inspected at UK customs..... which I certainly welcome, but its a de-ac, legal to own and therefore not a problem.
    D

If, as you say, the bolt goes forward when the trigger is squeezed - and it was deactivated in 2004... you have a big problem with the gun. It means the gun has been tampered with, and would now be classed as illegal. It is a criminal offence to undo any of the deactivation work carried out on the weapon.

Yes of course
    I did buy a replica Luger from a guy in Jersey a few years ago, not yourself. It was impounded by the UK Border Force and I would have had to go to court to explain my reasons for wanting it and to claim it back, i would have had to pay costs so i never bothered. Perhaps because it was not a de-ac with a cert, it caused more problems, I am aware that your gun laws in Jersey are different so the UK Border Force may have been more paranoid

Cheers

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    If, as you say, the bolt goes forward when the trigger is squeezed - and it was deactivated in 2004... you have a big problem with the gun. It means the gun has been tampered with, and would now be classed as illegal. It is a criminal offence to undo any of the deactivation work carried out on the weapon.
    A very good point !!!
    A later de-ac should not have a moving bolt or triger ? .....If i remember corectly, a bolt action rifle can have a moving trigger and bolt but not a semi-automatic weapon such as this ???

Correct HistoryMan,, later de acts semi automatics will have the bolt welded,, trigger will work and cocking handle then that is it,, they also weld weld them so they can not be fully stripped.
    Totally butchered ,, the early specs that are still in the country are rare and costly and i am not to sure if they are still legal.

I wanted an older spec Garand, and ended up with this, a bloody Denix, even with this you need a re enactors permit,
    but the bolt, cocking handle and trigger work, you can also modify to throw a clip,, price around £120 from SOF, just not real though is it, bloody rules and regs.

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    I wanted an older spec Garand, and ended up with this, a bloody Denix, even with this you need a re enactors permit,
    but the bolt, cocking handle and trigger work, you can also modify to through a clip,, price around £120 from SOF, just not real though is it, bloody rules and regs.
    Look on the bright side, at least you have a nice garden to sit in and ponder upon the insane gun laws this country has!

Thanks for the input here guys. I bought this in a trade and have spoken to the chap I got it from and he assures me thats how he got it. Bought it in good faith at a show in the UK. I have taken it apart and been pointed to the area which has been played with. Not having had one before I assumed something had been cut away (which it has) that was needed to be done in the de-ac process. Ok, so the lesson has been learnt. The offending part will be re-welded asap in double quick time. I don't want or need any hassle over a few quid, not do I want to cause trouble for other collectors..... as we know such things have a knock on effect.
    The wrong will be righted.
    D

It is a beautiful piece and i sure you will sell it on,, are you not tempted to keep it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast