Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

UK legal old spec Tompson.

Article about: Hi, Not being into ww2 American de-ac guns in any way I thought it best to ask if there is a demand for UK de-act old spec Thompson machine guns. I have been offered one and just don't know

Hi,
    No, its not my thing as a de-ac. I have certainly learnt a lesson though. I will be more than happy to re-instate it to how it should be (de-act properly) and move it on.
    D

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    It is a beautiful piece and i sure you will sell it on,, are you not tempted to keep it.
    I think he has plenty of real guns to shoot !!!

HistoryMan,
    I think that sort of hits the nail on the head.
    D

Something that might be worth checking before you start welding things back up again is the date on the Proof House deactivation stamp that is stamped onto the gun. There is maybe a possibility the gun is actually an old spec, pre 1995 deact, that has lost its certificate at some point and has been sent back to the proof house to be reproofed and have a new certificate issued? I'm not totally sure of the process but 'I think' they check it over to see that it is actually a pre 95 deact and that the original stamped proofs are still there and then restamp it (presumably alongside the original proofs?) with the new inspection date and reissue a new certificate, in this case it would be 2004 and so if this was the case you could end up in the situation of a pre 95 deact with a 2004 certificate. Normally you don't actually need a certificate (although it's more desireable) as long as the proof house stamps are present (these are all it needs legally) but as this gun was imported into Jersey at some point maybe it had to have a new certificate for the import procedure?
    That said...after all that it may well of just been a 'modified' 2004 deact and would need 'sorting'?

I believe that the deactivation work has to comply with the current rules for a new certificate to be issued. It is not an offence to have a deactivated gun without a certificate provided the gun has the proof-house stamps. But if you had a gun with proof-house stamps earlier than the date on the certificate, it could indicate that the certificate is a forgery - or even the proof-house stamps themselves.

I do not see the logic in that. If the gun was returned to the proof house for a new certificate I would imagine they would have to bring it up to current legislation specifications before they would issue a new certificate for it

Its like taking your car for an MOT and having it passed using 10 year old legislation. I just don't think the proof house would allow it to be honest

A couple of years ago a purchased an Mg34, new spec without a deact cert. At the time I only lived a few tube stops away from the London Proof House. I took the 34 (wrapped in a blanket on the tube!) to the Proof House where it was inspected to check it was up to current specs, which it was. Whilst there I asked if they would issue a cert for an old spec deact that had lost it's cert.
    No was the answer, they said they have to see the gun first and make sure it's up to current specs. They also informed me, and I know this is a very grey area, but this is what they said that the cert isn't necessary and it's the Proof House stamps that are important. I also recall the chap saying look how many appear on Milweb or Gunstar without certs, fair point I thought to myself!
    I then wrapped my 34 back up in the blanket and got the tube home, cert arrived in the post a few weeks later, cool thing as well on the cert were it says 'submitted by' it says Jonathan Severin!

Jonathan.

Quote by severin View Post
    A couple of years ago a purchased an Mg34, new spec without a deact cert. At the time I only lived a few tube stops away from the London Proof House. I took the 34 (wrapped in a blanket on the tube!) to the Proof House where it was inspected to check it was up to current specs, which it was. Whilst there I asked if they would issue a cert for an old spec deact that had lost it's cert.
    No was the answer, they said they have to see the gun first and make sure it's up to current specs. They also informed me, and I know this is a very grey area, but this is what they said that the cert isn't necessary and it's the Proof House stamps that are important. I also recall the chap saying look how many appear on Milweb or Gunstar without certs, fair point I thought to myself!
    I then wrapped my 34 back up in the blanket and got the tube home, cert arrived in the post a few weeks later, cool thing as well on the cert were it says 'submitted by' it says Jonathan Severin!

Jonathan.
    I cant believe you went on the London Tube with a machine gun wrapped in a blanket !! deac or not haha !!! I think if you had done it this week it may have been a different story but I digress

I have to agree. If you took an old spec deac to the proof house for a certificate, they would have to bring it up to current legislation before issuing a new certificate, it would make nonsense of the new legislation otherwise I feel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3