Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ultra rare PPSh41: German 9mm conversion

Article about: If only this gun could talk, what a story it would tell! It is on display in Nottingham Castle, England. The castle houses the local Regimental Museum for the Notts & Derby Regt. This gu

Ade, here in the States a live version of this gun would bring much, much more than $20,000 in my opinion. Some people will pay three times as much for full auto oddities like this. I would personally do unspeakable horrors just to hold that thing for 5 seconds...

Interesting conversion Ade.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Nice pictures, Ade,

Thanks for sharing - it does look like the mag housing is a little small for the MP40 - but probably just a trick of the eye.

I have the PPsh41 and MP40 here.

If I were truly in a combat situation, and not just fantasizing about my favorite films, there is no comparison whatsoever.
    IMO -

Starting with the wobbly MP40 stock and easily jamming mechanism (this I have read about, mine has never jammed but then it is loved and never taken out in in climate weather), with no dust cover, and bakelite that is prone to breaking - a high profile that makes prone shooting problematic (PPsh stick is curved and shorter, drum is shorter sill.)
    The PPsh41 72 round drum is the simplest of all the drums to load and the ROF is devastating -

If I had been offered the weapon in your pics I would have taken it over the MP40.

Just ask James Coburn, ah, I blew it, said I wouldn't use a favorite movie as a reference, lol.

Last edited by pitfighter; 03-26-2014 at 01:01 AM.

I understand the PPSh41 was known as the MP41(r) after it had been converted to 9mm, i wonder if it still had the same very high rate of fire as the PPSh?...

I've a Bren with a similar story, it's one of 500 intermediates built by Inglis of Canada in 1941. It was captured (Probably at St Nazaire or Dieppe) by the Germans, then recaptured by the British, Lost again in Korea and then captured from the Chinese by the Indians. It's not looking to bad considering, it even retains one single waf stamp under the mag well dust cover, the rest having been ground off.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I've a Bren with a similar story, it's one of 500 intermediates built by Inglis of Canada in 1941. It was captured (Probably at St Nazaire or Dieppe) by the Germans, then recaptured by the British, Lost again in Korea and then captured from the Chinese by the Indians. It's not looking to bad considering, it even retains one single waf stamp under the mag well dust cover, the rest having been ground off.
    Do you have pics M3 - I've seen that famous pic of the grinning German soldier with a Bren - I have a ZB26 that's waffen marked (that one represented a few years hunting, until I found one I liked) - but yours sounds like it had quite an adventure - would like to see it for sure -

Adrian - second post, second from last photo - interesting how much shorter the MP41r barrel is, and threaded too, I wonder what weapon they plundered to get those.

Here is a thread on another forum, with the same mag housing, it appears there were variations -
    MP.41(r) info desired - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    If posting threads to other sites is verboten, please zap, and accept apologies.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Olzhas, I have know this gun since I was 5 years old when I first saw it. I dream about holding it

Cheers, Ade.
    We have one at the club as a rental and we all had to qualify on each weapon, we call it a pepper shaker and its a sub gun so easy to manage but does have a high cycle rate as I remember it. Kind of fun to shoot but you will need to come to the U.S I think. Had a friend who had the PPD which I believe was earlier and milled and of higher quality. Their all fun to shoot until you do it every day and the newness tends to wear off. Its a ripper.

I am in the process of building a pps43 from a demilled parts kit. I already have the semi auto FCG worked out but need to do some tig welding on the repair section.. I believe the 43 and 41 are an easy conversion to 9mm with just a barrel swap. The mags work just fine with 7.62x25 or 9mm. The bolt face needs no mods.. Very interesting firearms!!

warjamesw1
    ?

I've heard 9mm ammo working in the 7.62x25 mags. Just not sure how reliable this would be. Maybe OK with a semi only gun. However, the PPS43 is now available as a semi pistol chambered for 9mm and uses factory modified 762x25 mags. to accept the 9mm round. As far as the PPSH41 goes, most will modify it to use some kind of existing 9mm mag.

9mm will work fine with the original mags. I know as I have shot several PPSh41's and PPS's which are 9mm converts, both live, full auto and with 9mm blank.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast