Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Un blued p38

Article about: HI GUYS, I like the look of the attached P38 and may consider buying it. The seller claims that it is an un-blued P38 and instead is finished in blue steel. Has anyone ever seen one like it?

?

Default Un blued p38

HI GUYS,
    I like the look of the attached P38 and may consider buying it. The seller claims that it is an un-blued P38 and instead is finished in blue steel. Has anyone ever seen one like it? Is this the original finish or has the Blueing just worn off.
    Thanks as Usual

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images Un blued p38  Un blued p38 

Default Re: Un blued p38

I think it probably has been polished off. I've never heard of a non blued P-38 or any other military pistol for that matter. The blue or parkerizing is the only protection against surface rust that a firearm has. There is also blue and rust remover that will strip a pistol just like the one in the photo you provided. If you are still interested you might use the lack of blue to knock off a few doller on the price. You can have it blued or parkerized or even leave it alone as long as you keep it oiled it will hold up okay.

Mike

Looks like it was "cleaned" or polished. In the US it is not uncommon to see finishes polished up or even chromed! If you can look under the grips you may see some remnants of the original finish. I own an original AC43 marked P38 that has finish worn off in the areas frequently handled. It certainly doesn't look like your example. So I think worn off finish is not the reason for its appearance. Neil H

?

Wink Re: Un blued p38

Thanks guys! I think it looks great but if the finish has been tampered with I think I might leave it alone!!!
    Cheers
    Andy

Quote by BLONDI View Post
    Thanks guys! I think it looks great but if the finish has been tampered with I think I might leave it alone!!!
    Cheers
    Andy
    Andy, I'm 99.9%..... actually 100% sure that the pistol has been polished. If the price reflects this I'd still consider it. The P38 was in my humble opinion, ahead of it's time as a single/double action automatic. It's a heck of a good design.

Mike

bigkev
    ?

Looks like a good pistol other than the blueing being missing, depending on the price I would jump on it. The P38's are good shooters for combat pistols, and regardless of the finish you could have a decent time with it. If you dont like the finish then you can always send it to a gunsmith and get it blued for around $100 US or so.

?

Yes, that pistol would never had passed inspection and aceptance without a finish. Howver, if the price is right, it may be a good shooter.

?

Cheers Guys!!!
    Andy