Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unidentified holster

Article about: Hello everyone. I have no clue as to whcih weapon this holster belongs. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!

Default Unidentified holster

Hello everyone.

I have no clue as to whcih weapon this holster belongs. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unidentified holster   Unidentified holster  

Unidentified holster  

CBH
    ?

It appears to be a British 1937 pattern holster, for a Enfield No. 2 Mk.I .38in. service revolver.
    Used by British and commonwealth troops in WWII.

And welcome to the Forum.

The holster was used for a variety of weapons in .38 and 9mm-unlike the Germans, the British only cared that the weapons available more or less fitted into the holster-the Enfield and very similar Webley Mk IV and the US made Smith & Wesson 'Victory' revolvers used it and the Inglis Hi Power 9mm automatic as well (the specific Canadian made type for it was too small and highly unpopular with users).

Thanks a lot for your replies, much appreciated. You sure know your stuff

So from what I am gathering now, the British were less fussy with the holsters, having a holster that would fit a few different weapons, whilst the germans were more specific with this, having a different holster for every weapon. Is this correct?

Yes-the vast number of different types of small 'pocket pistols' used by the Germans were a particular problem-it was pretty standard for holsters to have the German service designation for the pistol to be ink stamped inside the flap or embossed on the back of the leather but as captured or private purchase stuff was used as well, this is not always the case-also the ink stamps often got worn off or became illegible over time so can't be read now.
    British Commonwealth WW2 web holsters were generally of 2 types-the smaller .38 cal such as yours or the larger one meant for older .455 cal revolvers still in use during the war (Webley Mk VI, Colt and S&W). Older leather ones were also used for the older weapons