Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unknown German butt stock

Article about: I can not figure this one out, its look like late war example for some volksmachinenpistole or what? Thanks for help!

Default Unknown German butt stock

I can not figure this one out, its look like late war example for some volksmachinenpistole or what?

Thanks for help!

Default Re: Unknown German butt stock

I have just had a look through Terry Gander and Peter Chamberlain's Small arms, artillery and special weapons of the third reich (great ref book by the way) and I would say that it could well be off a Volksturmkarabiner 98, essentially a simplified emergency rifle produced for volksturm units at the end of the war. That what it looks like most to me, but could be wrong.

See where i'm coming from (i'm thinking the bottom one)? Hope this helps.

The pic I saw in the book also had a thicker butt plate like yours than the one in the pic I have posted. I suppose by that stage they just used what they had.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown German butt stock  
    Last edited by Spitace41; 06-06-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: error

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    I have just had a look through Terry Gander and Peter Chamberlain's Small arms, artillery and special weapons of the third reich (great ref book by the way) and I would say that it could well be off a Volksturmkarabiner 98, essentially a simplified emergency rifle produced for volksturm units at the end of the war. That what it looks like most to me, but could be wrong.
    Just looking at it, that was my initial guess too. Interested to find out.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

A98 gqm Loch & Hartenberger Metallwarenfabrik Idar-Oberstein, Rheinland-Pfalz

That is interesting find, i think rare one to!

Far too elaborate for a last ditch weapon stock , with the cupped butt and the non German style stock mount for the sling-more like that used on the Carcano rifles.

Stock mount for the sling is just cut in half k98 sling fixed with two screws. Its really interesting stock.

The metal sling fittings (especially the rear one) remind me of those seen on Carcano rifles...

Unknown German butt stockUnknown German butt stock

Maybe. However I will stick by what I initially suggested. I think it looks very German in origin and the markings on the butt plate support this. I would not say it is overly elaborate compared with earlier K98 stocks. Cheers.

I would support the view that the rear sling mount looks like that on the Carcano which is weird.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Maybe. However I will stick by what I initially suggested. I think it looks very German in origin and the markings on the butt plate support this. I would not say it is overly elaborate compared with earlier K98 stocks. Cheers.
    Oh the cupped butt plate with integrated hole for bolt take-down is definitely German! The hole in the buttplate is actually a trait of late war production K98ks as it was easier to accommodate a bolt take-down hole this way instead of embedding a ring in the stock...

Could it perhaps be an Italian stock that made it Germany at the end of the war and was refitted to accept Mauser actions?

Here is a shot of the sling fitting on my other Carcano...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast