Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Unknown Pocket Revolver....I need an ID

Article about: Hello gentlemen. I just came back from the military Show of Shows in Kentucky, and made a great amount of purchases. I bought a German gravity knife, a few fighting knives etc. of which I kn

Default Re: Unknown Pocket Revolver....I need an ID

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Steve,

These types of revolver were mostly .22 centrfire, although .32 calibre was not uncommon. The rounds of .22 centrfire were not as powerful as .22 long rifle and were often loaded with dust shot or rock salt.

Regards, Ned.
    Most of these types I've seen were either .22 rf, or 'obsolete' .32 rf.
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks guys. I paid 100 dollars for it. Was that a good deal?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Most of these types I've seen were either .22 rf, or 'obsolete' .32 rf.
    Hi Steve,

Your right. These types of revolver were widely produced in the U.S before the Great War. Many of these were of a rimfire type in the obsolete calibres you have stated. They were marketed under names such as 'Bang Up', 'Little Giant', 'Swamp Angel' and more worryingly, 'Tramps Terror'! Other calibres included .25 acp and .38 centrefire, pretty potent... Most of these pistols were of the hammerless type.

I believe that the one shown here is centrefire as this was more common in Europe at that time. The last makers of this type of cartridge was Fiocchi, but they have not been manufactured for a number of years now, although boxes of them do turn up on Gunbroker type websites often enough still.

The pistol shown would be worth in the region of 200-300GBP over here, so yeah, a good deal.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hello

these type of revolvers are called "Bulldog" revolvers in belgium and most are made in the obsolete .380 (black powder) caliber.
    Belgian "Velodog" revolvers are a bit slimmer and use the totally unknown (in America) 5,7mm velodog cartridge.
    This one is indeed a belgian (see the ELG marks) revolver but many spanish copies circle around in equally good craftmanship.

Jean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2