Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown sub-machinegun

Article about: Hello gentlemen, Is there any knowledge about this sub-machinegun? The (blurry) picture shows equipment captured by Dutch forces from the TNI in an operation near Magetan in East Java in the

Default Unknown sub-machinegun

Hello gentlemen,

Is there any knowledge about this sub-machinegun?

The (blurry) picture shows equipment captured by Dutch forces from the TNI in an operation near Magetan in East Java in the beginning of 1949.

The sub shows many features of a MP28-II, but the barrel lacks a shroud and is fluted (if that is the word?).

The Dutch colonial forces made use of the MP28-II before and during the war against Japan and afterwards against the TNI (Indonesian National Army).

Thanks for looking into this.

Cheers,
    EmileUnknown sub-machinegun

Type 100 sub machine gun?
    I think they came in two variants, I do however not know how different they were to one another. Japanese equipment is not at all something I normally deal with.

Unknown sub-machinegun

Type 100 submachine gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The characteristics are not for a Type 100. The barrel shroud, stock and magazine well are not the same. The mystery sub has the selector button of a MP28.

I wonder what it is?

Cheers, Emile

?

Is it a MAS smg, Italian made

Quote by davejb View Post
    Is it a MAS smg, Italian made
    MAS is not Italian.

I am convinced it is a MP28 variant, but have no particulars.

MAS SMG have a very different configuration as have the Beretta's.

Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    I am convinced it is a MP28 variant, but have no particulars.
    Yes, a MP28 variant, vithout barrel cover and with fluted barrel: maybe a Spanish "Naranjero".

I too am thinking MP28 II but either modified by removing part of the receiver and making a wrap to grip the barrel or it's a small run locally produced variant. I have a book which states they made small numbers of 9mm SMGs for trials but production never started (perhaps due to the war with Japan?).

Could have been altered by the Japanese-they did many mods to captured weapons to fit their bayos or ammunition-also local mods by the Indonesian guerrillas as well-the low quality of the pic does make it difficult to see exactly what the differences are.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I too am thinking MP28 II but either modified by removing part of the receiver and making a wrap to grip the barrel or it's a small run locally produced variant. I have a book which states they made small numbers of 9mm SMGs for trials but production never started (perhaps due to the war with Japan?).
    That sounds interesting! Do you have the title of this book? Is it in Dutch or English?

Thanks for looking into it!
    Cheers,
    Emile