Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual Browning Model 1910 'type'

Article about: Another of my pickups from the market at Earlestown is this unusual model of a Browning model 1910 pistol which I came across yesterday. The left side of the slide is stamped with... BELGIQU

Default Unusual Browning Model 1910 'type'

Another of my pickups from the market at Earlestown is this unusual model of a Browning model 1910 pistol which I came across yesterday. The left side of the slide is stamped with... BELGIQUE DIENST HALDAUTOMATISCH MODELLO PISTOLE... Underneath is stamped... MODEL- M - 1910-63... To the left of the slide is stamped a lozenge shape which bears the legend BKA over 51.

Although the fit of the slide to frame is a loose fit, the pistol appears to be made of high grade alloy, and the frame - judging by the cross-grain marks, appears to have been polished off with a fine file.

It is in 8mm calibre blank firing - although the bolt is missing. The extractor on the right side of the frame is purely cosmetic, and would have been incapable of extracting a case. So I would imagine that there was a second extractor fitted to the bolt. When squeezed, the trigger pushes back a steel liner which covers the top of the magazine when inserted. The top of this can bee seen in the photograph of the stripped pistol. The squeeze safety does function from what I can see of the remainder of the mechanism. When I removed the magazine it still contained six rounds of unfired blank ammunition. The head stamp is 8mm over GFI. The magazine is of sheet steel.

I have never seen one of these pistols before. I would imagine that either the '51' or '63' are possibly manufacture dates. Can any forum members supply further information on this pistol?

Cheers,
    Steve.

Unusual Browning Model 1910 'type'Unusual Browning Model 1910 'type'Unusual Browning Model 1910 'type'Unusual Browning Model 1910 'type'Unusual Browning Model 1910 'type'Unusual Browning Model 1910 'type'Unusual Browning Model 1910 'type'

Looks like an Asian pistol.

The text on the slide is a hodge podge of of french, dutch and german. I imagine these pistols were made for sale as toys.

Nice thing though!

Cheers,
    Emile

Amazing what you can pick up at Earlestown!....

A person could hold up alot of liquor stores with such a toy, however...or get himself shot through the head by the cops, if nothing else! I wonder how many people have managed to do just that with these things? The Asian makers of it must be Real proud...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Fabriqe National knock off ?? G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual Browning Model 1910 'type'  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

There is nothing to show that the pistol is of Asian origin. It is an 8mm Blank-firing semi-auto, hardly the kind of thing which would be made as a child's toy. That slide would really recoil back at some speed for a start! The alloy used in the construction is also of fairly high grade.

That it fires only blanks says something-perhaps a film prop pistol?-many of the Japanese replicas are better made than the originals...