Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

US or German?

Article about: Hello all, Haven't a clue as to what this is, any ideas? William Kramer

Hi,
    Nice find i do hope it is Deac ( Dewat ) as they are highly illegal to own im told, best be safe than sorry.
    Dave.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I understand that the misleading term "Knee Mortar" led to more than one GI's broken leg...
    A desirable item, that's for sure!
    cheers, Glenn
    I've heard that too on a number of occasions. Must hurt.

?

I was going to say it looked like an artificial leg by looking at the first pic , so that blows my theory

From Wikipedia: Type 10 Grenade Discharger: Due to a translation error, the Type 10 was called the "knee mortar" by the Americans. The manual for the mortar instructed the troops to carry the mortar on the upper thigh, with the baseplate attached to the belt and the barrel running down the thigh. American troops on Guadalcanal became aware of the name "knee mortar" and thought the light design allowed it to be fired with the baseplate resting on the thigh. If the Type 10 were fired in this manner, it would result in serious injury due to recoil. However, once a few troops injured themselves, the mistranslation was discovered and further experimentation discouraged.

Contemporary US intelligence thought that the weapon was primarily used to discharge flares, the heavier Type 89 Grenade Discharger being used to fire explosive rounds instead.

The one you found looks to be the heavy Type 89.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi,
    I would like to fire any mortar from the thigh even the small 2" mortar we used was fired from the ground.
    Dave.

In great condition with its cover- superb!

great looking piece..
    John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2