Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

US military front sight?

Article about: I wonder if any former US Armored Forces soldiers could ID this front sight for me. I found it in a pocket of a CVC jacket so am assuming that it is of US origin. It isn't from either a .50

Default US military front sight?

I wonder if any former US Armored Forces soldiers could ID this front sight for me. I found it in a pocket of a CVC jacket so am assuming that it is of US origin. It isn't from either a .50 cal nor a M60. Any ideas? Thanks.

Default Re: US military front sight?

I could be wrong, but to me it looks like some kind of tool rather than a front sight.

Call of Duty is probably a half decent reference for this one

Its not a sight, far to heavy, I agree that its a tool of some sort. Can the post in the centre be wound in and out using the knurled portion? It could be a Lathe Dog.

I don't think its a lathe dog, the ones I've used have another piece of metal opposite the knurled part on them for attaching to the chuck.... I'm thinking that this piece may be from some kind of surveying equipment.

Thanks

Danny

Theres lots of diffrent types of dogs, lots dont have the extra piece as that piece is part of the plate.

Lathe dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It could be survey equipment but again, it looks heavy duty, almost industrial. It would help to know if the knurled section rotates.

Hi, thanks for the comments. The pin within the round casting is fixed (you can see the retaining pin in the neck). The knurled section does not rotate, but there used to be a thread at the bottom, now broken off, so I guess it was once screwed into something.

The 'Lathe Dog' you lot keep referring to............that's the one that looks like a Cocker Spaniel isn't it ?

Could it be a "sight" for a mortar?

I found this on ebay, not the same item obviously but food for thought?

Original WWII German Panzer IV \ Stug wrench tool for track tension | eBay