Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Springfield Model 1861

Article about: mod 1816.. 1830 POMEROY Mass. converted to percussion for the Civil War , great ole muskets

?

Default US Springfield Model 1861

Thought you might enjoy pictures of my US Springfield Model 1861 rifle-musket in .58 cal. It's all original except for the hammer retaining screw and came with the original socket bayonet. This one was made in 1863 by Norwich Arms Company of Norwich, Connecticut, who made about 25,000 of them during the US Civil War. It's definately been cleaned up at some point during it's life, but I don't mind that on a weapon that was issued in the white. The bore's in quite good shape, I'm thinking about actually shooting it.

Default Re: US Springfield Model 1861

Nyles, suberb rifle, a Union piece, (I must admit to being a bit of a Johnny Rebel at heart !) dated slap bang in the middle of the war, looks to be in excellent condition for its age, nice to see U.S. Civil War items here on the forum, they dont pop up so often, as I reckon they are quite scarce !Is that the "Prussian" type socket bayonet attached to the rifle ?... Will it be safe to fire ?....Thanks for showing, Prost ! Steve.

Hello Nyles-I assume you're familiar with weapons but are you a black powder fan? At 150 years it is an old weapon to be firing-you'd need to get it checked by a gunsmith who is expert at BP and knows what you're planning to with it-also thorough cleaning and maintenance is needed as both the BP and percussion caps are very corrosive.
    There is also the risk of damaging a fairly rare and valuable original US Civil war rifle that will only continue to increase in value if that is important to you. But of course it is yours at the moment to do with what you will.

Very nice if it was mine I would have to shoot it aswell but I would have it checked out first as said above. Congrats

ERIC

?

Yeah, it's not my first black powder rifle. In fact I sell them at work. I know what I'm doing, and enough to be damned careful with it.

?

In the spirit of US Civil War weapons, I just received this original US Army marked Spencer Model 1860 cavalry carbine in 56-56 Spencer Rimfire. Very neat little lever action carbine with a 7 shot tube magazine in the butt, not unlike alot of old .22 semi-auto rifles. This one did not receive the post-war upgrade to 56-52 caliber, and so was likely one of the many sold off at the end of the war, often to the soldiers to whom they were issued. Calling it the Model 1860 isn't entirely accurate, as the carbine version didn't actually enter production until 1863, until late 1865 when it was replaced with the improved 1865 model. Still, it was the most popular carbine used by the Union army during it's production, and, along with the single-shot Sharps, was issued to the soldiers seeing the heaviest fighting. By all reports they were reliable (which surprises me, considering how complex the action is), powerful and accurate and very well liked by anyone that used them.

The pictures really don't do the size of the weapon justice. The trigger guard is very large, because it doubles as the operating lever, and because the magazine runs through it the wrist is very thick. It tends to me the weapon look smaller than it actually is, and damn is it heavy! Unfortunately there's no source for 56-56 Spencer ammo, and being a rimfire you can't reload for it, so this will likely end up being strictly a wallhanger. The fellow who sold it to me was apparently told it was in the serial number range issued to the 5th Michigan Volunteer Cavalry, part of Custer's Michigan Cavalry Brigade, but I tend to be pretty suspiscious of any association with a famous unit until I can prove it myself. Doesn't really matter, either way it was priced right so I'm happy to have it!

Excellent examples of the Springfield and Spencer Nyles, those are two rifles anyone would be proud to own. Every time I see this Spencer, I'm utterly amazed Custer's doomed 7th Cavalry wasn't carrying them. The Army saved alittle money using the single shot Springfield, but it perpetuated an embarrasing loss at the Little Big Horn. You're spot on Nyles, I'm with you and Eric. Without a doubt I'd be poping some caps and burning powder with that beauty.

Jay

Those are beautiful weapons indeed, amazing rifles.
    Thanks for posting.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Bumping this thread to say what great rifles you have there Nyles.
    As Steve said above - we don't see them often within the Forum.

There should be more interest in this era - both the American
    Civil War and this period of firearms development.........
    Regards,

Steve.

very nice rifles nyles thanks for sharing such beutifull firearms and so old in Brilliant condition

tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast