Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Very used 1931 Thompson

Article about: by Adrian Stevenson Very interesting. Not heard of these before. Cheers, Ade. The Chinese seemingly were fond of taking favourite Western guns and converting them to their use. They not only

?

Yes I agree about it being a Chinese made Thompson. Otherwise there would be some other Mfg info stamped on the right side of the receiver.

"Nationalist China acquired a quantity for use against Japanese land forces, and eventually began producing copies of the Thompson in small quantities for use by its armies and militias. In the 1930s, Taiyuan Arsenal produced copies of the Thompson for Yan Xishan, the warlord of Shanxi province."

It still is a great restore project. I would love to have one!!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Bill in Va. you are 100% correct it is a Chinese copy of a 1928 Thompson Sub-Machine Gun...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

I wonder if the Chinese produced Tommys will accept Thompson parts? But, regardless of who actually produced it, it should be a fascinating restoration project to watch and I hope that we are kept up to date with it's progress!
    What caliber is it (some of these are seen in 7.62x25mm Tokarev)and does the muzzle have a compensator or just the blade type of front sight?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Nuno-did it come from Macao?

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I wonder if the Chinese produced Tommys will accept Thompson parts? But, regardless of who actually produced it, it should be a fascinating restoration project to watch and I hope that we are kept up to date with it's progress!
    What caliber is it (some of these are seen in 7.62x25mm Tokarev)and does the muzzle have a compensator or just the blade type of front sight?
    I actually got to shoot one that was captured on Iwo Jima by the US Marines. It was taken off the Japanese, who captured it on mainland China. It was .45 caliber and parts were Thomson spec as far as I know. It had Chinese writing all over it and the Chinese bluing process had faded to a silver. A really odd bluing application compared to what I am used to seeing on period weapons. The piece was acquired by an acquaintance at Amoskeag Auctions for the tidy sum of $69,000. It was one of only two that were known to exist in the US in its original state with proper paper work. It functioned flawlessly. I felt incredibly privileged to be able to put a 30 round stick mag through it.
    Last edited by relicz; 01-31-2014 at 01:44 PM.
    Regards,
    John

Very interesting. Not heard of these before.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

You really learn something new every day on this forum. Very interesting weapon.

It's very crude, even by Chinese standards. I very much doubt any original Thompson parts will fit, it's not even machined for a drum mag. There were quite a few of these came through the UK in the early 1990s, I remember quite a few of them having belt buckles inleted in to the butt for a sling.

Very interesting guns. this is the Imperial War Museums (London) example, note the misspelling 'Thampson' on the reciever.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Very used 1931 Thompson  

Looks like a great project Nuno. And a rare find. Please keep us posted on the progress of this. Will you.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast