Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Vet Bringback P-38 CYQ

Article about: You all know I like items with a story. Well this one sure has one...what it is? Anyone's guess. The pistol itself is a run of the mill Spreewerks rough blued, "nicely" used matchi

MAP
    ?

Thanks Pat. Glad you enjoyed it. As tempting as it is. I try not to shoot my WW1 / WW2 firearms. I've succumbed once or twice with my Garand and 03 however...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Spreewerke examples are far more roughly finished than the other makers and therefore less desired by collectors-they were made in occupied Czechoslovakia by a less than enthusiastic workforce and mostly late war, and it shows! They do still work pretty much as any of the others do though.

PRE
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Thanks Pat. Glad you enjoyed it. As tempting as it is. I try not to shoot my WW1 / WW2 firearms. I've succumbed once or twice with my Garand and 03 however...
    I definitely understand that. I typically don't shoot my all-matching examples, or those that are very uncommon/rare. On the other hand, the Garands and 03's were overhauled usually multiple times, so non-original replacement parts are the norm rather than the exception. Just make sure you feed your Garand true M2 Ball Ammunition, not just any .30-06. The Garands are a joy to shoot, too!

On the subject of cyq vs. byf vs. AC, I realize most collectors aim for the best condition examples they can find of a particular make/model of weapon, but I have to admit to a bit of a fascination with some of the 'rougher' examples out there. Maybe more than the better known manufacturers, those factories with a less skilled or more compelled workforce reflect other aspects of the war that go relatively unnoticed with the better executed and more attentively finished ones. That's why I'm interested in seeing how the quality and features of the VIS-35 changed from the very first occupied examples were rolled out, to the capture of the Steyr factory at the end of the war. Similarly, the pre- and early war Carcano rifles and carbines show a more presentable and arguably nicer finished look than those produced after the armistice in northern Italy and likely under more or less direct German supervision. While some of the features were deliberate omissions and simplified replacements of previous parts and components, others hint at darker realities, and these are just as much a part of the weapon's history as it's celebrated design and use in well known battles.

O.k., I'm off my soap box! Go enjoy that pistol!
    Best,
    Pat

?

Thanks Michael for the production listing. I'll have to check when mine was born

Semper Fi
    Phil

love the P-38s.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3