Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

VK98 'Peoples Carbine' bnz45

Article about: Enjoy this scarce German 'Peoples Carbine' VK98.. Manufactured by Steyr in 1945... bnz45... BILL

ian
    ?

Default Re: VK98 'Peoples Carbine' bnz45

they allso have master plates of all the fonts used
    in the lid of all the boxes there ars brass plates used to identify which stamp is wich and the actual stamp was used to do this so every font or anomily of that stamp could in ttheaory be cross referenced
    and as far as is known no stamps are missing cheers ian

I recall having read that these rifle barrels were reamed so the brazing on of the makeshift front sight would not damage the rifling.

My pennies worth.

Cheers,
    Emile

Those Styer bastards were thick with the SS. Far more so than other manufacturers. I have several examples like the BCD/BNZ 4 and some of the Regansburg assembled 98s that the Wehrmacht would have nothing to do with. Perhaps I can have my boy dig them out of the pile later. Doug

?

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    Ade, Yes the Fakers have tried to duplicate VK98s, but there are various Tale-Tale things to look for...It is a expensive and rare German weapon, so the fakers try to copy it...BILL
    I have owned two and encountered a couple more of these bnz VK's. They all had slab like solid beech stocks...no blued buttplates ( no buttplates at all ) and no laminate wood. I don't think your stock is correct for this example.
    These have been heavily and badly faked to include P38 rear sights added to the receivers and the obligatory cutting down of standard and Kriegsmodell wood to make them 'real' enough to peddle. Not so many years ago a "collector" in canada was making solid beech repro stocks for these....and he offered 'age them up' for a couple extra bucks too.

?

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    I recall having read that these rifle barrels were reamed so the brazing on of the makeshift front sight would not damage the rifling.

My pennies worth.

Cheers,
    Emile
    Most likely the barrels were counterbored to offset rifling damage from how the center in the lathe was situated , not so much for the welding on ( not brazing ) of the ersatz front sight blade.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3