Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Von Runsted's pistol

Article about: Old soldier's have a reputation for talking up their exploits. We are (almost) as bad as fishermen with tales of huge fish caught. And people usually fall for it hook, line and sinker!

Old soldier's have a reputation for talking up their exploits. We are (almost) as bad as fishermen with tales of huge fish caught. And people usually fall for it hook, line and sinker!

Quote by Scout View Post
    All ...

stuka f; just to make sure - was it a CZ27 handgun which disappeared from the museum, do you know?
    Not sure! I was 13 when I saw it the first and only time. I tought it was a Walter ppk but at that age I could only recognize a Luger....
    All I remember is that it was engraved! Just don't recall what the color of the gripp's were or if the gun was also gilded...
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Roger that, Kris. Thanks

Thank you all for your responses. I will see if there are any bring back papers. Is there some archive where this mans name may be found for accepting von Rundstedt's surrender? Did the Germans have a listing that survived with the serial numbers
    of the guns issued to their officers? Jim

it will be fun to try and find out Jim, go for it.

I doubt very much if an arrogant prig like Rundstedt was Issued anything....I would imagine that he carried whatever he happened to fancy...

I'm still wondering why a man who was recovering in a hospital from a heart attack would even be Carrying a gun in any case.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I found out today that the man I knew was not given credit officially for the surrender. That was given to his commanding officer who apparently wasn't even on the patrol. I will see if there are any photos or eye witness accounts of what actually happened that day. He told me that he entered the hospital and Von Rundstedt and his son were there setting together. Von Rundstedt balked at surrendering to a low ranking officer and he was told he could either surrender or be shot. That is when he handed the pistol to the man I knew. He was a great, self effacing individual who only spoke of his service when pressed by me on occasion. I have absolutely no reason to doubt him and only wish there was some way to verify his achievement. Thanks again. Jim

I know the feeling about not getting credit. I once found a large cache of weapons and ammunition when conducting a search in January 1972. The sergeant in charge of the patrol walked in behind me as I made the discovery - telling me... "OK Corbett, I'll take over now." And that was the end of it for me!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    ....... I'll take over now." And that was the end of it for me!
    "Ubi maior, minor cessat"!!!!!

Harry did you have a good luck charm called SOOTY.-------Lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast