Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Walther P-38 and Mannclicher Carbine

Article about: Here is the P-38 My Great Grandfather brought back from Europe in WWII w/ Holster. Also a Manlicher Carbine with a German Kar 98 Gernade site (I didnt take a picture of the actual tube sorry

Default Walther P-38 and Mannclicher Carbine

Here is the P-38 My Great Grandfather brought back from Europe in WWII w/ Holster.

Also a Manlicher Carbine with a German Kar 98 Gernade site (I didnt take a picture of the actual tube sorry)

Sorry for bad pictures the lighting was realy bad at my Grandfather's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Walther P-38 and Mannclicher Carbine   Walther P-38 and Mannclicher Carbine  

Walther P-38 and Mannclicher Carbine   Walther P-38 and Mannclicher Carbine  

Default Re: Walther P-38 and Mannclicher Carbine

The carbine looks nice. A Dutch Mannlicher M95 carbine in 6,5 mm . The wooden cover piece on the left side of the magazine is missing though. I can't give you the model designation without seeing the whole carbine. The strap seems not original to this carbine.

Cheers,
    Emile

Hi Emile,

Im not to sure i didnt take very many pictures my camera died :/
    But i do know it chambers a very unsueall round.

As for the sling im not sure, I assume its orriginal, it feels it. But it is possible my Grandfather added The sling when it was passed on to him.

Just a littel info:

the Pistol stamped AC-43 ( or walther 1943)

The Mannlicher is stamped Hembrug 1918 (I think it says 1918, its hard to see)

Thanks for your answer. The Mannlicher M95 (rifles and carbines) was produced by Steyr in Austria for the Netherlands Government or later by the State Arsenal at Hembrug in the Netherlands. Yours, obviously, belongs to the latter batches! There were many versions of carbines. There were carbines for bicycle troops, cavalry, engineers, artillery, military police, navy and colonial troops. Also lots of rifles were shortened before WW2. The M95 chambers a rimmed 6.5 mm round (.276 I believe). It was a pleasant and accurate rifle tom shoot that was used from 1895 till a couple of years after WW2.

The sling is a US type and must have been added after arriving in the USA.

Cheers,
    Emile

Ok thanks ill see what else i can dig up on this rifle.

Also another question, The other magazine in the one picture do you know what it is? My Great Grandfather also sent it back, and i know its not for the P-38 it doesnt fit. To me it looks like a Colt .45 Mag, but thats my oppinon. I couldnt find any stamps or markings on it when I inspected it.

Quote by Aceaviator91 View Post
    Ok thanks ill see what else i can dig up on this rifle.

Also another question, The other magazine in the one picture do you know what it is? My Great Grandfather also sent it back, and i know its not for the P-38 it doesnt fit. To me it looks like a Colt .45 Mag, but thats my oppinon. I couldnt find any stamps or markings on it when I inspected it.
    Sorry I can't tell. I am not into pistols. Maybe Bill Grist will know?

Cheers,
    Emile

looks like a vis 35 magazine...

Hi ace,
    Nice looking P.38.As you mentioned it is a Walther code 1943.It is the first variation which makes it more scarce.In 1943 Walther changed the frame on the P.38 to include a "hump" where the trigger enters the frame.This change began with variation 2.Your example has a flat surface where the trigger enters the frame. It looks like the serial # on the slide and frame match which is good.The barrel assembly and internal locking block should have the guns serial # as well.The grips look like proper Walther grips.The magazine should not have the serial # but should be stamped eagle over 359.E/359 is the Walther quality control acceptance stamp.This stamp is found on all the guns major components.If you provide the serial # and letter block I can tell you what month it was produced.The holster appears to have altered loops.
    Hope this helps,
    Von

?

The other magazine is a mag for the polish VIS 35 otherwise known as Radom. One of the finest automatics to emerge from WWII IMO.

Here some info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vis_(weapon)

Thanks Von and Scout,

Von:

Thanks that info is very usefull I had no idea about it being a 1st varient. I have a paper with P-38 serials but all i found out is its a Walther 1943, Serial: 8***b, which says its a New German Alpha Numeric. Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Ace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast