Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Walther PP or Browning 1922 Rig...Which Would You Get?

Article about: Greetings everyone, I have the opportunity to buy only one of the pistols in the title. Both of them are the same price (\\$400). I know the Walther is a much more desirable gun, but the Brown

RZM
    ?

Default Walther PP or Browning 1922 Rig...Which Would You Get?

Greetings everyone,

I have the opportunity to buy only one of the pistols in the title. Both of them are the same price ($400). I know the Walther is a much more desirable gun, but the Browning is complete with it's original holster and two original magazines. The Walther is in good condition with some holster wear. The Browning is very well worn and used, most of the finish is gone, and the holster's leather is very worn and has some holes in the magazine pouch. I believe the holster is dated 1944. Both guns are all matching (to my knowledge), bear waffen marks, and are fully functional with good bores. Which one would you choose? The battle worn Browning rig, or the Walther PP? I do not have any pictures at this time. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Buy The Walther. Thats what i would do.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Quote by guns ltd View Post
    Buy The Walther. Thats what i would do.

John
    Sounds like a logical choice!...

There is no choice to be made.... WALTHER

?

Ive handled both and find the 1922 a bit 'meh.'

I'd go for the Walther as well. An iconic and well functioning handgun. Not a cramped handgun but one with good ergonomics for the time - at least it fits my hand just fine for a relatively small handgun.

But the bottom line is that its your dollar - you should buy, what you like.

Both handguns are classic guns in the minds of those 'in-the-know,' but you'll never have any problem unloading the Walther in the future - neither literally nor figuratively.

The Walther is firmly seated in the minds of those raised on WWII movies, James Bond flics and generic agent/spy movies during the last decades thus sought after, where as the Browning is simply not as sexy nor nice handling (just my very subjective opinion of course).

I know most of you will crucify me, lol

The Walther is always a Walther but a complete Browning rig looks really nice.
    I can only say, buy the one you really feel its a part of you and your collection.

Cheers
    Nuno

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    Ive handled both and find the 1922 a bit 'meh.'

I'd go for the Walther as well. An iconic and well functioning handgun. Not a cramped handgun but one with good ergonomics for the time - at least it fits my hand just fine for a relatively small handgun.

But the bottom line is that its your dollar - you should buy, what you like.

Both handguns are classic guns in the minds of those 'in-the-know,' but you'll never have any problem unloading the Walther in the future - neither literally nor figuratively.

The Walther is firmly seated in the minds of those raised on WWII movies, James Bond flics and generic agent/spy movies during the last decades thus sought after, where as the Browning is simply not as sexy nor nice handling (just my very subjective opinion of course).
    Everyone knows the PPK is the Bond gun

I'd choose the PP over the 1922; though depends on your collecting taste, and what is more relevant to your collection.

One really should Not dismiss the Browning, however odd it looks. The 1922 Browning was Highly prized by the Germans in WWII and not for no reason. They were Heavily used by the SS,the Luftwaffe and the German Government. Personally, I would think that the Walther is a fine pistol, but they are also fairly common as well. The Brownings are fairly unseen and known here in the US, but they really should Not be! Here is a good article that explains pretty much the story and circumstances of them-you should take a look at it before deciding!

Browning 1922 - Good Investment for Those Who Understand Annuities
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I agree with those arguments in favour of the '22. I for one wont crucify anybody and actually thought of defending the Browning before 'Nuno' jumped the gun (dang, those puns today - sorry guys!)

I pondered the matter and in my case its simply down to personal preference. One factor is also that Ive visited many museums in countries, which had the Browning family issued hence the police/army handguns are filling the display cases to the brim (okay, maybe not to the brim, but you get my point - they are in every museum there).

You cant spit in a WWII museum in for example Denmark and avoid hitting a member of the Browning family there (1910, 1922, GP/1935, Browning sub-compact pocket pistols etc ad nauseam).
    The country placed several big orders for different Browning handguns prior to WWII. During WWII, the Germans made the Danes 'an offer they couldnt refuse' and many Browning handguns ended up in German hands. Many of course were left behind when the Germans packed up and walked home in '45 and many others stayed in the hands of the Danes during WWII. These are the ones now in museums.

Ive no doubt that they to some represent a collectable value, but that doesnt change the fact, that the Walther is the one which is instantly reqognizable to most people be they gun people or not.

And again US collectability of the '22 aside (not a very valuable gun in some countries in Europe as you for one cant kick your way through them and secondly because its simply not as sought after or considered as nice as the Walther. This should of course not be a consideration for the OP as he is in the US) - purely a personal observation as mentioned - I find the '22 ergonomics horrible, the controls difficult and sluggish to manipulate and in fact dont consider the gun as 'sexy' as the Walther.

Keep the above in mind in case you want this as a shooter.

Are you buying this as a shooter or just simply as another one in the collection in the vault?

IMPORTANT be sure to familiarize yourself with the ergonomics of each gun before buying, especially if you want the purchase to be a shooter. Ergos on the '22 are ho-ri-ble!

At $400 the Walther PP is a better buy than the 1922 rig (in resale terms at least.)

But, both are a good buy at $400 - see if you can't buy them both.