Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Weapons restoration and preservation thread

Article about: Nuno, that was a cracking job you did there, it looks so much better now IMO, well done mate Annoyed from this ads?  

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Thanks, Nuno! Both my T38 and T99 Arisakas started in similar condition and cleaned up nicely.

I wanted to share something embarrassing. I left my M1917 rifle on my desk in my bedroom at my parents' house for a week. My parents' hate using the air conditioning so it tends to be kind of humid there... This is what happened :
    Attachment 551660

A gently massaged the rust away with 0000 steel wool soaked in CLP gun oil. I am definitely pissed at myself for letting it happen, but there was little damage done:
    Attachment 551661

A lot of people are scared of using 0000 steel wool. Keep in mind that I used it with VERY LITTLE pressure... I did NOT scrub the metal with the wool.
    That happened in a week? That is bad.
    But a week isnt enough time to leave marks. so it all turned out ok.

I have started work on the Mannlicher, all of the barrel rust as come off....except for the crest area. Its very pitted.

The barrel is coming along nicely.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Weapons restoration and preservation thread  

But this area makes me sad, there isnt much i can do here.
    This is the result of 23 years in poor storage.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Weapons restoration and preservation thread  

Great work on all restorations shown here! Its a shame about the pitting on the crown area Nuno, but still WAY better than it was before - this is fantastic work!

Quote by MG42 cra View Post
    Great work on all restorations shown here! Its a shame about the pitting on the crown area Nuno, but still WAY better than it was before - this is fantastic work!
    Hi, thank you for the kind reply.

I wish to present an almost brand new 1898 Portuguese contract Steyr Mannlicher, with all matching numbers.
    Still not finished yet......
    I have dismantled her and i was surprised with the simplicity of the thing. Its almost a kids toy.
    All internals were in great shape, only needed to be oiled up and ready to go.

I have waxed the stock twice. Tomorow she will receive a third coat of wax and then applyed wood products to make the stock shine.
    And a bit more cleaning on the barrel.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Weapons restoration and preservation thread   Weapons restoration and preservation thread  

Weapons restoration and preservation thread   Weapons restoration and preservation thread  

Weapons restoration and preservation thread   Weapons restoration and preservation thread  

The mannlicher is completed, greasing her will be the next step.

I have started today on the Kropatschek, and im seeing s lot of problems.
    The screws are completely stuck and the bolt is refusing to come off.

And im only starting.

This will be a challenge.

The Mannlicher has just been delivered to the owner.
    He was very satisfied and happy with results.
    Cheers
    Nuno

?

Good job! I have used the same steel wool and oil combination on a number of rifles with surface rust and it's surprising that, if not overdone, it does not harm the bluing, Ray

I am proud to say that i have finally finished the work on the 1886 Kropatschek.
    The metal was very pitted and what could, all the marks are now showing.
    But what i love is the wood, the original Austrian and Portuguese stamps are there and showing and it looks beautiful.
    I hope to have a satisfied customer.

Cheers
    Nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Weapons restoration and preservation thread   Weapons restoration and preservation thread  

Last edited by António Fragoeiro; 12-19-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast