Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Webley .455/476 Mk111 pistol

Article about: While at the Manchester Arms Fair yesterday, I had a look on the stall of World Wide Arms and purchased a very interesting pistol. I was told by the proprietor that it was one of a batch pur

Default Webley .455/476 Mk111 pistol

While at the Manchester Arms Fair yesterday, I had a look on the stall of World Wide Arms and purchased a very interesting pistol. I was told by the proprietor that it was one of a batch purchased by the company from South Africa. He told me they were formally used by the South African Police.

The condition for a pistol which is roughly 115 years old is extremely good. It retains a high percentage of it's finish, and is all matching number's. There are no british military acceptance markings, but on the right side it is marked V over 84 and 11 over D.L.I followed by 11 again.

At first my thoughts that it was marked to the 'Durham Light Infantry,' and was probably sold on to SA after WW1. But then I started thinking about the complete lack of military acceptance markings, and came to the conclusion it was probably (originally) part of a batch supplied to the South African government for military use. It was highly likely that D.L.I actually stood for Durban Light Infantry.

I did a little research this morning and found out the unit was formed in 1895. And taking in to account the Webley Mk 111 (in .455) was only made between 1897 and 1899, it seemed highly likely that this was indeed a pistol marked to that unit.

The Durban Light Infantry saw much active service during the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902. And again in the 1906 Bhambatha rebellion. At the outbreak of WW1 the 1st Batallion moved to the Northern Cape and were heavily involved in fighting with the Germans and rebel Boers. A very interesting find indeed!

Harry.

Webley .455/476 Mk111 pistolWebley .455/476 Mk111 pistol

Default Re: Webley .455/476 Mk111 pistol

Nice pick up! I'd imagine that there aren't many pistols like this one around.

Nice buy and great to link it to a unit.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Harry

Very good looking pistol.

Are you aware of this site ?

Wilkinson Sword research, Webley original factory records archive

Richard Milner the owner has a lot of the original Webley sales records.

I have a feeling that he will let you know if he has any relevant information free of charge and only charges if the details of the pistol are in the records - that is from memory so could be completely wrong.

Regards

Richie

?

Good looking revolver.
    Ive always liked these.
    Birdhead grip looks great.
    There is a certain sort of brutish symmetry to these old Webleys.

Hi Richie,

Many thanks for the advice. I will look into it.

Harry.

Still a shooter or defanged pistol?

- - Updated - -

It will be a Deac at a guess, unless Harry has a section 7

There is a MkIII for sale at arundel, looks like a relic!!

Deactivated P.Webley & Son MK3 Boer War Era Boer Era - Allied Deactivated Guns - Deactivated Guns

Quote by lithgow View Post

- - Updated - -

No, it is 'chopped' - but very neatly done. It doesn't bother me though. I have no interest in shooting, I did enough of that when I was in the army. But I do feel sorry for the shooting enthusiast's who cannot own live pistols. The government don't trust us enough. Although criminals have little trouble getting hold of them. Its the police that I really find scary with weapons. I don't know what kind of mindset they have when they go to an incident. Invariably someone gets shot dead by them - whether armed or not. The worst incident of its kind was when the innocent Brazilian on the underground train was shot no less than EIGHT times in the head. No Policeman has ever been convicted of killing an innocent person. I recall that when I was serving in Ireland I was terrified of shooting an innocent person by mistake - something that doesn't seem to concern today's modern armed Policeman in the slightest.

Did you hear about the shooting of that teenager last year that started the riots in the UK? The policeman that shot the teenager aparantly hit the second officer with his second shot, it passed through the kid and hit the officer. The only thing that saved the officers life was his radio. I know its not a easy job, or an easy decision but surely you prepare for the worst and the officers didn't position them selves very well before the incident.