Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Webley Mk IV .455 REVOLVER-Australian Marked

Article about: Marked 'D Broad Arrow D' forward of the cylinder on the right hand side for the Commonwealth Dept of Defence. The Mk IV replaced the short lived Mk III version in 1899 in time to be used in

Default Webley Mk IV .455 REVOLVER-Australian Marked

Marked 'D Broad Arrow D' forward of the cylinder on the right hand side for the Commonwealth Dept of Defence. The Mk IV replaced the short lived Mk III version in 1899 in time to be used in the 2nd Boer War (1899-1902) and it remained in production until replaced by the Cordite proofed Mk V in 1913.

The large numbers still in use in 1914 meant it was a frontline weapon in the trenches and other battlefields in WW1 and even into WW2 as a homeguard type, the rugged reliability and dirt resistant properties of the Webley types being well established.

The blueing is somewhat worn but there's no pitting present and the bore is in very good condition for a gun that's 110 years old or so and I like its solid weight!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Webley Mk IV .455 REVOLVER-Australian Marked   Webley Mk IV .455 REVOLVER-Australian Marked  

Webley Mk IV .455 REVOLVER-Australian Marked   Webley Mk IV .455 REVOLVER-Australian Marked  

Webley Mk IV .455 REVOLVER-Australian Marked  

?

Very nice!
    I used to be all about the longer barrelled square grip Webleys, but these relatively short barrel guns with birds head grips have grown on me.
    A very good looking and classic revolver IMO.
    I understand why you like the heft of it - a feature about these solid revolvers, which always appealed to me as well.
    Further more, the flowing line from the break open hinge to the bottom of the birds head grip is very very elegant IMO.
    You mentioned bluing and bore - is the Webley still tight in regards to the break top hinge or has it developed a slight wobble over the years?

Scout:Tight as a drum!-it really is in good nick-I haven't researched exactly when it was made.

What a beauty...Absolutely gorgeous weapon, lithgow...Best regards, Thanos.