Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Webley Question....

Article about: Hi Folks, My name is Tom, writing from Pennsylvania. I am a new member of the forum. I'm not certain I have the proper link to ask this question - so forgive me if I'm in the wrong area. I a

Gun Chaser
    ?

Default Webley Question....

Hi Folks,

My name is Tom, writing from Pennsylvania. I am a new member of the forum.

I'm not certain I have the proper link to ask this question - so forgive me if I'm in the wrong area.

I am a firearms collector. I just picked up another Webley Mark 1 - .455 revolver in excellent condition. On the inside of the backstrap (inside of the handgrip) - there is a name etched on it. The inscription is: Capt. H.P. Green 3rd BED Regt.

It's my understanding that many officers purchased their own firearms. Does anyone know of a British or Canadian registry where I might be able to look up Capt. H.P. Greeen?

Thank you very much!

Tom

Default Re: Webley Question....

Hi Tom and welcome!

You could try this forum, i'm sure they can help.

The Western Front Association Front Forum: discussing The Great War 1914-18 • View topic - 3rd Bedfordshire Regiment and Regiment Changes

It looks like the 3rd battalion the Bedfordshire Regiment was a U.K. based training unit during WW1 assuming that your chap was with them then. Obviously he may well have moved on at sometime, or been a later member.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Gun Chaser
    ?

Default Re: Webley Question....

Hello Ned -

Thanks so much for your kind reply! I appreciate it a great deal. You've already assisted me as I now know what the "Bed Regt" stands for. I will absolutely contact the folks at the forum you suggested.

By the way - I love your profile pic! Good ol Sergeant Schultz - aka John Banner - one of my all time favorites!!!

Thanks again, Ned!