Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What did I buy? A zombie?

Article about: You have a great start of parts for a restoration here. Get some information from the guys here and start going to gunshows with a parts list. Love going to gun shows digging through parts b

Default What did I buy? A zombie?

Hello Everyone:

So today, I told my wife that I wouldn't buy anymore guns and militaria before christmas shopping is done.... well... Merry Christmas to me.

So I picked up these two K98's that have been sporterized. The bores are MINT... but someone got crafty with these.

Now... whats with the straight handle on the DOU 45?
    And if you notice... they went all out trying to sporterize that stock... what a shame...

Anyone got a stock to sell?

Thanks
    Cody
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What did I buy? A zombie?   What did I buy? A zombie?  

What did I buy? A zombie?   What did I buy? A zombie?  

Default Re: What did I buy? A zombie?

The only Mauser's I had with a straight bolt, or handle if you like, were from the Belgian FN Herstal factory. The markings on your K98 look to be German, could it be the bolt has been changed from a Gew98 or a Belgian Mauser?

Does this help old pal?

www.k98stocks.com
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ah Big Ned, you saved the day again!
    Looks like I'll be spending some good cash on these stocks.

Thanks!

Had a look, i'm pretty sure its a Gew 98 bolt looking at the markings on it. On google I found some other K98's with Gew 98 straight bolts.

That was my first guess when I saw it, but I haven't checked the headspacing yet on it. If it is good... does it mean that it has been with that rifle from the begining?

The Bolt looks like from a Gew.98.

Also Picked these up today.... in the mail. haha!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What did I buy? A zombie?   What did I buy? A zombie?  

Looks like someone will be getting a sock full of coal from the wife this year, from the looks of all your purchases. Actually, they didn't do all that bad a job on sporterizing the 98K's....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Good question. I'll have to ask my mate who is a expert on K98's. Did they make the dou45 with old Gew 98 stock bolts at the end of the war. I sold a dou 45 last year, and that one had the normal dropdown bolt, but it wouldn't suprise me if they actually used older parts at the end of the war. They also didn't care to much about matching numbers at the end of the war, and it seems your dou is also built up from different parts from different years. Its also missing the small screw on the cover plate of the magazine. No marks that suggest there ever was a screw there, so maybe the never bothered to put the small secrurity screw in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast