Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

What do i have?

Article about: I just picked this up but i've searched every site about jap rifles but i havent seen this type, any help would be great.

Default What do i have?

I just picked this up but i've searched every site about jap rifles but i havent seen this type, any help would be great.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do i have?   What do i have?  

What do i have?   What do i have?  

Default Re: What do i have?

You have a Japanese Type 38 cal. 6.5mm.. The rifle's stock has been cut down and the rear sight removed.. This is called 'Sporterizing" many military rifle were ruined in this way to making a cheap hunting rifle after WW2...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

You don't think it might be a type of carbine, the reason i ask is that i have another type 38 and this ones a good 7 inches shorter.

Its been "sporterized". See back in the day after the second world war there was a large amount of surplus rifles to hit the market. I still have an old magazie clipping that has K98s for $40. Even those who brought firearms back lived in a more "practical" time period. Why buy a new hunting rifle when you can use the rifle you brought back? The sad part is, even today there is a lot of people out there who still "sporterize" their rifles because they have no idea what they have.

Thanks, NDShooter

The difference in length means the barrel's been cut on your sporter. Also note the bolt handle has been turned down. Should be straight.

?

This one was cut back too,but all the wood was left on it.And the front band and bayonet lug.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do i have?  
    Last edited by zwerge; 07-03-2011 at 06:36 PM.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Thanks, but that seems like alot of work and time put into it just to make a cheep hunting rifle.

Just compared it with my other sporterized type 38 and i see what all you guys mean, after looking alittle closer i can see where someone tried to lighten this rifle anyway they could, thanks for everyones insight. I guess for $100 spent i'll give it to my daughter for a light weight hunting rifle. Craig
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do i have?   What do i have?  

What do i have?  

Hey, for the price you did good.

?

Quote by bowlin7178 View Post
    Thanks, but that seems like alot of work and time put into it just to make a cheep hunting rifle.
    You have no idea how far bubba will and did go to make a "cheap" deer rifle. And these are some of their handiwork.