Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What do you think to my MG34?

Article about: Just thought I would post a few pictures of my recently aquired MG34, looked at few before I got this one, all matching numbers except the stock. Im sure you will have noticed it has two nic

Ron.B
    ?

Default What do you think to my MG34?

Just thought I would post a few pictures of my recently aquired MG34, looked at few before I got this one, all matching numbers except the stock. Im sure you will have noticed it has two nice field repairs / modifications, firstly the the brass band on the stock, ive been told by a few people that the early bakerlite ones used to split so this method was employed in the field to remedy this problem, secondly the grips have been replaced by riveted purpose cut wooden items, I have considerd replaceing these but I think ill leave it as found. its dated 1939 so its fair to say it has seen more than its fair share of action, hence the repairs!, its fully strippable (except the barrell of course!) and displays great with the inert ammo, which has every 5th tip painted red for tracer, again Im told thats correct???. It came with an ammo tin which is fully wa marked but is ex russian capture stuff so its painted in "local council" green, YUK!, so im on the look out for a nice period, used item, it also came with 2 mags and there carrier, again the mags are unused and mint, dated and the carrier is wa marked but re-finished in that russian green paint, so again im on the look out for a nice period replacement.
    any way hope you like it as much as me!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do you think to my MG34?   What do you think to my MG34?  

What do you think to my MG34?   What do you think to my MG34?  

What do you think to my MG34?  

Default Re: What do you think to my MG34?

Hi Ron, the field repairs are interesting. I have not seen a brass bound stock before, wire ones are much more common. Stocks do take a battering are often repaired or found to be not matching numbers to the gun.

Ammo belts were often made up of a "cocktail" of armour peicing, tracer, indendary, etc.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Chers, de.

Nice MG, I have also recently acquired a MG34 and like you I searched around looking for the best gun for the moeny I had, I also saw quite a few with brass wrapped around the stock like that, wonder if it was a common practice? I heard they did this quite alot of the Russian front, not sure if truew or not!
    Ben

Ron.B
    ?

Glad you like it, it lives on the floor of my dineing room and to say its a conversation starter is an understatement!, ive got a nice mp40 as well but no numbers match sadly but is all there and complete, any ideas what thats worth?, its obviously fully de-ac but even the trigger is welded up, so no dry fire action. ill post some pics if your interested??.

Hi Ron, yes please post a new thread on your MP40: they are always popular.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Looks nice. Can you post a picture of the barrel jacket markings?

Ron.B
    ?

I think these are the jacket markings you are after??, the only other markins are a couple of wa stamps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do you think to my MG34?   What do you think to my MG34?  

?

Yep, that is pretty cool. 1939 dated and made by Gustloff-Werk Suhl.

kommandant
    ?

I like it!!!!!!

?

Too cool!