Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

What NOT to do to your Walther P-38s

Article about: http://p38pistol.com/altered_states/index.htm

?

Default What NOT to do to your Walther P-38s

Default Re: What NOT to do to your Walther P-38s

I like the one where it says"Mauser snubby,probably a gestapo gun" that was funny as hell!!

Well, actually - why not? In Europe Walther P38 costs around 500 euro. Not too much and not a too rare weapon.

Heartbreaking...

I'm still dreaming of one P38. I only have half of it. The other half has been lost somewhere in post.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

These people are trash to weapons!!!!!

I remember, back in the 60's, when P38's were cheap, plentiful and common. It was quite a thing in it's day, to see how creative you could get with these guns-as you can see, some got quite creative indeed. It was no less shocking than cutting down G43's, etc and making hunting guns from them... One ad, I recall, went on in some length about how Strong the action of a 98K was and listed a run of different calibers that it could Easily handle being converted to-including some fairly heavy Magnums. A new stock, remove the bayonet band, heat up and bend over the bolt, glass the barrel in the stock, drill and mount scope mounts, etc -Voila! A ready to go super strong hunting rifle.
    Today, it seems unthinkable to even consider doing such things, but back Then, remember that these guns were available in most department stores by paper barrels full and stacked on tables for choice 4 or 5 bucks. Italian Carcanos and Japanese Arisaka's were less than That, at 1-2 dollars each. A 1942 Black Widow Luger could be easily found for 50 bucks-all you wanted and a P38 at less than half that again. Guns like the much sought Browning HP's were, perhaps, 75 dollars and usually only needed a decent target sight drilled and mounted onto them to make them "ready to go". Many a gunsmith made his bread and butter from converting and cutting down the old war horses to something more useable friendly. Nobody gave a damn about chopping up some old military surplus dime-a-dozen gun.
    Me? Of course, I was always the Weird one! I would hunt and dig through the piles of old guns and select out the all numbers matching and best conditioned pieces and take them home-to keep in their Original states. Many a shooter gave me an odd lifted eyebrow look....
    Last edited by Wagriff; 10-24-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Omg

?

Remember the Man from Uncle , shortened P38s with the little perforated flash hiders, its not really a new innovation to butcher good weapons

?

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    Well, actually - why not? In Europe Walther P38 costs around 500 euro. Not too much and not a too rare weapon.
    It's such a historical weapon...even though ~1000000 were made, it just still makes me cringe